1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Infernal candidates

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Aaaarghghgh, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Aaaarghghgh

Aaaarghghgh New commenter

Sigh,

Came second in a field of two to an internal candidate. My interview was fine, the lesson went great but an internal candidate is always going to have the edge.

I feel like ranting but just want to state that I think schools should be up front and admit that they are interviewing internal candidates for the role as well, which gives the rest of us the option of whether to hone our interview skills for the umpteenth time.

I feel being told at the interview that oh we're also interviewing an internal candidate and here they are, but we aren't going to ask them to teach a lesson as we already know how they teach, is a little insulting to the external candidate who may well have travelled right across the country for what they thought was a viable opportunity.

Rant over.

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Not always. I've been offered a post over an internal candidate on two occasions x

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

I was recently at an interview where there were 2 internal candidates and neither of them got the job.
    At the visit they mentioned that there were internal candidates. They both had to teach a lesson, like the rest of us.

5. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

We had two posts in my department and three internal candidates (2 probationers and 1 temporary teacher) who are all superb teachers. The school interviewed 5 people and 1 job went to an internal candidate while the other went to an "outsider".
    I think that there is a lot of pressure on internal candidates too and certainly in my school it seems to be the person who gives the best interview gets the post.
    Don't give up. I do understand your frustration but please don't be disheartened. If nothing else it is all good experience.