1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Infected finger

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by xmaspud, Mar 13, 2011.

1. How likely would it be to catch septicemia with an infected finger/under the nail and down the side slightly? Or should i be going to get antibioctics asap?

2. Septicaemia, a life-threatening infection of the blood? If you work with MRSA patients and don't wear gloves, then probably quite likely!
    But if you just mean will it get infected, then yes, it's quite a common site of infection, so I would keep it clean, dab some antiseptic cream on it, cover it and ask your GP for antibiotics. It goes manky quite quickly - I neglected one for 4 days or so and got the sinister red streak up my wrist. I had got a thorn in the side of my thumbnail - didn't even notice it till it puffed up and throbbed.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Get some cooled boiled salty water and dunk your finger in it. You need to keep it in there for a long time - hours rather than minutes - but it WILL work!

4. This happened to my daughter and she went to the chemist who gave her magnesium sulphate paste to put on. This draws out the infection. It cleared up overnight. Chemist said if it didn't work within 2 days or got worse then to go to GP and get antibiotics.