1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Infant teachers at Christmas: is this the most wonderful time of the year?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by TES_Rosaline, Dec 6, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

How do you feel about festive season when you help children take to the stage to perform the nativity or other plays?

Headteacher Michael Tidd is in awe of infant teachers and has dedicated this week’s column to the job that you do including dealing with youngsters’ emotions and excitement, last minute changes when things go wrong and having boundless energy and enthusiasm to do the whole thing again the following year:

‘I’d like to dedicate my column this week to teachers of infants up and down the land who are in the throes of nativity rehearsals…I am constantly in awe of anyone who can muster the necessary energy and enthusiasm day after day. And never is that more the case than in the run-up to Christmas...

Then there’s the performance itself. Again, no reassuring position of darkness, behind the lighting desk or prompting from the wings. No, the infant teacher must instead take up his or her position kneeling in the aisle, gesticulating for every required action, and singing each line merrily at the top of their voice. No doubt there are home videos all over the land where the muted voices of 60 infant pupils are lost behind the deafening glee of Miss Wilberforce as she mouths each word with gusto.’

What was your funniest, weirdest, dramatic, hair-raising, stressful or memorable moment of organising plays?

What advice and top tips would you tell your colleagues who are in the midst of staging their first nativity?

What are the best and worst aspects of dealing with festive plays?

https://www.tes.com/news/why-im-awe-infant-teachers-christmas

2. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

What I would say is that it really does come together in the end, even when you think they'll never sing loud enough or get the words right and dealing with all the impromptu bits, such as a little one desperate for the loo on the night when there isn't one in the church (thank goodness for the empty the biscuit tin that had housed the mince pies which were now out on the table ready to serve for after the production)! :D
    Honestly, whilst preparing for it, you think you'll never look back and think "that was pretty good", but you will, especially when you see the reactions of Parents/carers and other family members. The things that don't go quite to plan add to it's charm. Honest!!;):D

3. TES_Rosaline

Thank you @lynneseptember for your wise words. It's good to know that you can also look back fondly at all those lovely memories.

4. TES_Rosaline

For anyone reading the thread, feel free to add your advice or share your experiences here.

5. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Love Christmas preparation in infants but the expectations have slowly changed over the years. Not only do you have to rehearse, make cards, Christmas hats, presents etc BUT also do all this around a full timetable.

6. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

It is the most wonderful time of the year!
    I remember thinking, at the end of the first term in my probationary year (not NQT, it was too long ago!) that I was all Christmassed out and could not possibly enjoy more Christmas once reunited with my family. Of course I managed to get a second wind, and it's been the same all of my 30+ years since. I will miss it so much when I finally retire!

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

At least most, if not all, of the activities tend to be activities than can be worked into the curriculum. Useful, really!