1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Infant Junior School moderation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dipper, Mar 19, 2016.

1. dipper

dipper New commenter

Does anyone have any advice regarding moderation between linked Infant and Junior Schools?
    As the HT of an Infant School our Y2 teacher is moderated by the LA every year. A new Junior HT has questioned some of the Y2 teacher's judgments from last year and wants to be more involved this year.I am fine with professional dialogue between the Y2/3 teachers but can't help feeling the Junior HT has a vested interest in dumbing down levels - whatever a level is now - so I'm keen to ensure this process is managed professionally. Advice welcome - thanks.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I would suggest you tell the Junior HT you want to moderate some of the work produced in his/her school!
    Honestly this sounds like a bit of a cheek. If your Y2 teacher is moderated by the LA each year then the Junior school need to accept that the moderations are as robust as possible. Certainly LA moderation in my authority is thorough and the results are as sound as possible, given human error!

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Mrs J, a retired infant HT, had this problem every year with the HT of the local Junior school. If you are being moderated by the LA then you can fully justify your assessments.

You could therefore tell the Junior school to nicely go away. However in the spirit of cooperation a meeting between the y2 and y3 would help I suppose.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

There is an expectation that schools will moderate both internally and externally to ensure judgments and evidence are secure. It is the choice of each school to decide how best to do this so you might decide it suits you better to moderate with another infant school. However, there are considerable advantages to developing good links with the junior school as long as this is seen as a collaborative and equal relationship with benefits to both schools. Doesn't sound like this is his intention at the moment but is there a way you could take the bull by the horns and suggest a way forward?

5. missied

missied New commenter

Working in a junior school and previously in y3 I value the moderation that took place between our schools. It was useful to have the professional dialogue.
    I think it is fair to say we (juniors) don't always agree with some of the 'levels' we have got in the past - just as secondary schools don't agree with some of the end of KS2 levels. The main reason for juniors struggling with the levels was that when a child moved from KS1 to KS2 as a level 3 it was recorded on junior tracking as 3B not 3C. The infant child might be more than 2a and just 3c but makes no difference to what we had to have on our data. Immediately this caused difficulties (Does work the other way too - a very capable child may be higher than a 3b on entry to juniors, but quite rare)

During a transition meeting the head at the infant school said they didn't agree with the moderator saying a child was not level 3 so had ignored this and still sent said child up as a level 3. The head said they regularly didn't agree and stuck with what they knew!!

I personally would take it as an opportunity to prove that your levels are sound and justify the levels given. If there are major discrepancies (which are unlikely) then maybe it's more of an issue for the LA to work on with both schools. Could you perhaps arrange cross phase moderation with a cluster of schools? We've found this to be extremely helpful this year particularly with the new assessment statements?

As you say the head is new.....they may have had staff moaning about levels & they just want to see for themselves to put the situation to bed, so to speak.
    If you are confident with the levels you are giving I'd personally want to 'show off' how fab you and your school are, create closer links between the two schools and use it as a form of CPD to ensure staff skills are being maintained/strengthened eg being aware of what's expected at the end of y1 - 6 etc