1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Infant junior school moderation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dipper, Mar 19, 2016.

1. dipper

dipper New commenter

Does anyone have any advice regarding moderation between linked Infant and Junior Schools?
    As the HT of an Infant School our Y2 teacher is moderated by the LA every year. A new Junior HT has questioned some of the Y2 teacher's judgments from last year and wants to be more involved this year.I am fine with professional dialogue between the Y2/3 teachers but can't help feeling the Junior HT has a vested interest in dumbing down levels - whatever a level is now - so I'm keen to ensure this process is managed professionally. Advice welcome - thanks.

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Is moderation of all infant Y2 standard for you? Having been in a linked infant/junior situation for over 20 years I find this a little over the top!

Certainly we did some moderation between the two schools and it led to healthy debate - as you would expect! If you have been moderated externally for a number of years and things are fine then I don't think you have anything to worry about. However, with the new expectations I can imagine things may be a little more challenging.

I suggest that the new head may have an agenda that does involve covering her/his own back! If you are being moderated externally again then all should be fine. Perhaps some in house moderation before this? (Am sure you would anyway!)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm glad that you got such a useful reply from @Camokidmommy , @dipper.

Next time you might get more if you posted in the Primary Forum - scroll down the forum list to find out. This forum is mainly for people needing help or support with employment problems, rather than pedagogical ones.

You might even get more replies if you re-posted in Primary now!

Best wishes