1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Infant Computing with no help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tortuga, Jan 16, 2020 at 4:53 PM.

1. tortuga

tortuga New commenter

I took on a long term supply job teaching computing in an infant school in October. I've had various issues with the lessons, but the main one is the lack of support. In year 2 especially, we have oversubscribed classes, fifteen laptops, a TA who sits and glues worksheets into books and doesn't help. I've been to the head several times about the lack of support, but I am close to quitting. Some of the children's behaviour is unacceptable and most can't sit and wait sensibly whilst I help others. I've tried worksheets on the floor relating to lessons, but it just isn't working. Has anyone got any good suggestions on how I can cope better on my own? The head just doesn't seem interested in sorting out support. I have even asked on social media locally if anyone needs any classroom experience for courses etc. subject to an interview with the head and DBS check.

Thanks

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

P2 children should be able to stick their own worksheets into their books. Once you've taught them to do this, the TA won't have any sheets to stick in. The TA can then be asked to actually support the children's learning.

If you're looking for a suitable resource, this might be useful:
    https://code.org/educate/curriculum/elementary-school

You could try splitting the class into two groups with you and the TA each taking a group to work on an unplugged activity or one involving the laptops.

15 laptops doesn't seem an awful lot unless you have a very small class. If you're pairing up pupils to work on one laptop together, both you and the TA can both be circulating and supporting.

If the TA still refuses to help, talk to the HT again and ask them to observe lessons or pop in randomly for a minute or two just to see what is actually happening.

You've probably tried all of the above but I thought I'd post them just in case you haven't. If you have tried the above and are still having problems, I can only suggest you look for a job elsewhere.:(

tortuga likes this.
  3. tortuga

tortuga New commenter

Thanks so much for replying. For some reason at this school the TAs get 'PPA' when the teachers do? I have a meeting soon again with the head.

4. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

It seems a bit strange that you are going into a school and telling SLT about a TA. I would have thought that the SLT would support the TA over a supply teacher.

Computing is one of those subjects that most people do not feel comfortable teaching. It does not have to be taught using laptops. Just go over to the TA and ask them to support children. Children should be sticking in their own sheets.