1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inequality in education is worse than 30 years ago, research suggests

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 12, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

New research has revealed that the geographical area where a child is born will determine its educational achievement. The findings by think tank Social Market Foundation also show the regional disparities in educational outcomes.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ducation-worse-30-years-ago-research-suggests

It would be interesting to hear your views on the findings. In your experience, do you think that the research is a true reflection of what has happened in the schools that you have worked in?

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Performance is not just based upon free meals!
    There are many factors for so called non-achievement. Home .culture, background,peer groups,intelligence,deprivation,social mobility, the school, the teachers, the lack of teachers, the home set up,computer use.misuse eyc etc.and these factors are found all over the country.
    The person i used to say to my children who fails is themselves.They limit their achievement.
    Leaving aside intelligence(whatever that is and measured by) its trying to get young folk to value learning, to want to learn to achieve and progress and not be held back by others.Good teachers help. interest in subjects helps.but its the motive goal and target which should be driving them forward.
    I come from a deprived area of Liverpool....was deemed not clever enough to do my 11 plus, was bottom of class out of 36 children, always in trouble and seen as a pain in the rear.....yet one teacher in secondary stopped me from joining in with all the rest.He saw something in me and took an interest.He caught my attention and started me on the road to where I am now.He installed in me a life long love of learning and development.
    We fail our children if we dont set them on that road.Ask any teacher who is dealing with demotivated children...its ambition to get ahead,to prove your as good as any other and you dont have to remain with the rest.The area does have a hold back effect...but it is overcome if teachers are allowed to do their job and not be tied to producing data streams of children achieving A-E stuff.

3. spencer2d

spencer2d New commenter

I would be interested to see the raw data behind these statistics
    Yet again education here is be hit with more, not necessarily straight forwards statistics.

lets flip this round. 30% of London pupils aren't getting 5 good GCSE's
    What does this equate to in real numbers.
    Given that there are significantly more pupils in London than other regions (with over 10 million people now living in or around London) I wouldn't be surprised if, actually more pupils (by raw - total number) did less well in London than Yorkshire.
    Not that I wish to dismiss the hard work that teachers in London do.
    It just another statistic that needs to be taken at more than just a headline face value.