1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Indy application

Discussion in 'Independent' started by boperella, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Hi All,
    I'm about to spend the next 2 nights on an application for an Indy school which i'd really like to get an interview (and ultimatly job) for!
    Nothing specific is worrying me, more all of it! Any advice on tone, structure etc would be really greatly appreciated.
    Thanks very much.

2. Hi Boperella,
    Unfortunately I can't offer any advice as I am in the same position as you! I'll be watching this thread with interest and hopefully this bump will help!
    A question I have in addition to Boperella's original q's is how long a handwritten letter of application shoudl be? I've only ever done typed letters so gone for the 1.5-2 sides of A4 rule, but if I write 2 sides of A4 by hand I will be saying a lot less obviously as typing is smaller than handwriting. What is normal/expected for a handwritten letter of appication for an indy school?
    Thanks in advance, and I hope Boperella doesn't feel I'm hijacking their post, just have such similar questions I thought it best to tag on!
    Choca

3. Hello,

I've recently been offered a job in an independent school, so something I wrote worked...!

My covering letter and job application weren't that different to state sector jobs I had applied for, but I payed particular attention to emphasising how I could contribute to the extra curricular life of the school, mentioning specific activities that I had been involved with in previous roles.

I also thought about the 'personal interests' box carefully - my aim in that was to subtly emphasise the extra curricular activities unrelated to my subject I could bring to the school.

My covering letter was two typed pages, in lieu of a personal statement as there was not a section on the form for this.

Good luck!

4. You must address all the points set out in the job spec or the form they send you. As for extra curricular activites, a lot will depend on the school and what they already have in place. There is no harm in highlighting your current extra curricular activites (music, stamp collecting, chess, x-country running, refereeing county badminton matches - or whatever) but only do so if you are prepared to commit to doing more of the same in school.
    If you are not sure what they want then you can offer 'skills' or 'availability' such as: being bilingual so you are in a position to accompany language trips abroad or being available to accompany w/e Duke of Edinburgh trips. If you have established links with industry, external speakers or work placement organisations, put these in your form. Basicaly, be honest and open about what you enjoy spending your time on and which enthusiasm you can pass on to pupils - there is likely to be a fit somewhere!

5. Thanks Hadron,
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>Regarding your advice about addressing all the points in the
    job spec, the one they have sent is split into 6 sections, but in total there
    are 50 separate points to cover across those 6 sections, and the job spec alone
    is 2 full pages of A4. Surely I can&rsquo;t write something for each of the 50
    points? Is it OK to split my statement into the same 6 sections they have used,
    and write a paragraph in each that encompasses as best I can the 5-10 points in
    that section?

</font>Thanks!

</font>

6. Hi all,

I got the job!!
    Choca_holic I hope this bodes well for you too! X

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Woohooo, well done you!! Great way to start the holidays hey? Here's to you! [​IMG]

8. This may be too late for chocaholic but here goes:
    If they have asked for information on 50 separate points, then give them information on the 50 points. You may be able to cut and paste their points into a document & then, in a different font, insert your response underneath their point.
    A one to three sentence answer for each point should suffice unless it is a point you want to make stand out! This will demonstrate you have read their document & it will also help you understand what sort of profile person they are after. You can also be sure that if they don't call you for interview, that they made the 'rejection' decision from a well informed position and that as a result, neither of you wasted a day getting to that 'rejection' decision!