1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Industrial Injury Disablement Declaration/Benefit for bullying injuries

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Gardening Leaves, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I'm in the mood for more hornets' nest stirring!
    Do you realise that it is possible to be awarded an Industrial Injury Declaration (and therefore Benefit) for psychological injury caused by workplace bullying?
    It is difficult to achieve because awards for psychological injury are not common and, for bullying, even rarer. It is difficult to demonstrate how you have met the criteria and the process is made more onerous because DWP decision-makers, unused to processing such claims, err on the side of caution and tend to reject them, in the first instance, hoping the claimant will just go away. Nevertheless, I have been successful and I am very happy to show anyone else how to jump through the particular hoops.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Stir up that stock pot, GL! Yes please.

3. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

I would be interested to learn more too, please. You've achieved amazing things!

4. No I didn't but it this might explain why the powers that be allowed me to claim JSA even though I resigned from my previous job (on the interviewer's advice, I wrote that the resignation was partly due to health issues caused by work related stress).

5. Gardening Leaves

I am devastated at the number of enquiries I have found in my Inbox this morning. I am working my way through and will find a way of ensuring the information I have is passed on to those who have enquired - but please bear with me if it takes a little while.
    It makes me really annoyed that all the information we have amassed is not easily accessible. I have had to find it all out piecemeal, thanks in no small part to the patience and generosity of people like Sandi Lieder. Why aren't unions making it easier for their members? Grrr.

6. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

I can't help feeling that the Unions don't want us to have the info, GL. Thanks to the info you gave me, I was able to find over 30 incriminating emails between my ex-employers and HR, one of which was particularly damning. I emailed my union with the info, but to date (since June) I have not received a response.
    Can you email me the above info please?
    Keep up the good work. I'll chat more by email.
    Take care
    SSLx

7. Gardening Leaves

Yesssssss. Result! These people always make the same mistake of thinking that correspondence about you will remain private. Three cheers for the Data Protection Act!!

8. Good for you. More power to your elbow! [​IMG]

9. Gardening Leaves

I'm just bloody-minded, jcf!

Check your inbox!

10. Am I correct in understanding, then, that we can request copies of emails etc that pertain to a particular incident or any other email relating to us then? How can you be sure that you get everything, rather than the edited highlights that some might be tempted to submit?

11. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Dear Poem
    GL has a brilliant template which I used; I had to go up to my ex-employers to read and photocopy what I wanted; I was rather put out by this but glad I did go; there were boxes and boxes of papers; I took a friend with me; it would've taken hours to read thro so we photocopied the lot. I was shocked to find the emails, but my solicitor said they had to give me EVERYTHING as if they'd come to light later on in the future, for whatever reason, the LA would be prosecuted.
    I doubt if HR even knew the emails were there amongst the papers as there were several between key personnel about me.They wanted me to put aside the papers I'd taken for their solicitor. My friend mixed up all the papers before we left and I just handed over a random bundle; I asked why he'd done this, he said it was because he hates the way beauraucracy (sp!) fcuks up people's lives!! So they didnt actually see what I'd taken until my solicitor demanded that they were disclosed!
    You don't ask for specific items.

12. That's interesting to know Snowstorm, thanks for the information. I'd like to think that the need to ask for such things is very rare indeed but I can see how it would be very useful in many cases.
    You'd also think that it would make some SMT members be a bit more careful about what they send via email but that's not my experience.
    What a horrid thing for you to have to go through though :-(

13. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Basically I was set up Poem; when all the legalities are over, I hope I'll be able to tell my story. I've been told that it's possible a crime has been committed against me. I'm still awaiting a judgement.

14. I to had a crime committed against me in order to silence me over the activities of a paedophile, its staggering to think what lengths senior management will go to to protect their highly paid jobs. I hope it goes well for you, as you say you want to tell others the story that is my aim despite threats from the college solicitor

15. Snowstorm, that's dreadful and, sadly, I think I'm going through the same thing. Can't say anymore than that (obviously) but I hope the judgement you are waiting for socks it to the b*s*ards. How dare people treat other people so badly[​IMG]

16. Gardening Leaves

So sorry to hear you are suffering too, Poem. My case involved being set up, too. However, the one thing I have really understood is that, when people are devious and tell lies, they ALWAYS leave the evidence behind. They think they have been clever, but they always use the same tactics. a19pb's posts on the psychology of bullying really helped me to understand they way they would think and work.
    As with all liars, they have to tell more and more to cover it up and you can find that evidence to use against them. There are ways and means of digging away to uncover that evidence and then, bingo - you've got them! The more you dig, the more they will try to cover their tracks - and the more evidence of their deceit those acts provide for you, in the end.
    Good luck and stay strong.[​IMG]