1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Industrial action - docking of pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mpc, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mpc

mpc

Can anyone provide guidance as to the amount docked from salary for those who take industrial action?
    Many thanks,
    mpc

2. mpc

mpc

Can anyone provide guidance as to the amount docked from salary for those who take industrial action?
    Many thanks,
    mpc

3. 1/365 of your annual net salary.

4. mpc

mpc

Cheers - that's what it says on NUT website too.

5. But please be aware that during the last strikes, some LEAs initially took 1/195th and it took a fair amount of time to get this refunded!

6. mpc

mpc

Ah-ha! That's very interesting - money was taken but then refunded.
    1/195 was the other figure I'd heard bandied about - thanks for your response.

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

1/195 = the daily rate for a supply teacher and a quarter of the amount is pro-rata holiday pay. They can't/ shouldn't use that calcualtion for striking teachers' deductions as they should only be docking pay for the one day absent from work, not for the holiday component as you will not be on strike in the school holidays and will still be employed on each holiday day.
    1/365 is the proper calculation. You will pay less into the TPS, less NI and less tax. Someone on M6 outside London and the Fringe would lose about £120 gross and £77 approximately less in take-home pay by my mental Maths calculations!

8. impis

impis New commenter

We have also had a letter issued to all teachers confirming that a day's pay will be docked - and it gives a figure - but I will have to check if it's 1/365 or 1/195.

They've also said that taking strike action constitues a break in service. [Something denied on the NUT FAQ pages]

9. What the hell are 'on costs?' I just had a message that my loss of pay will 'include on costs,'
    Any ideas?

10. coppull

coppull New commenter

On costs= National Insurance and Pensions.
    It will make no difference to what is taken off. It is a days pay only.

11. [​IMG] Thank you

12. Get your school rep. to get on to local area reps. It should not constitute a break in service, this threat is I believe unlawful

13. Empty threat.
    Every LA, payroll provider, HR dept etc know that it does not equate to a break in service. That is also advice from NAHT as well (and probably ASCL, but I haven't checked their website).

14. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

It will not cause a break in continuous service but it may be discounted when calculating your length of service. This should not be a problem with a 1 day action.

15. Not that I disagree with the 1/365 th deduction, but should it not be 1/260th, as 365 includes week ends, or even say 6.641 directed hours? Which represents what would be earned in a working day.

16. tomjones79

tomjones79 New commenter

No, it's 1/365th

17. Yes I know it is.............
    I was thinking of all the money I could save out of the budget, might be able to afford a trip abroad for a little research, say: the winter school curriculuim in Costa Rica !!!!!

18. I can understand why some authorities apply the 1/195 rule given that we only get paid for 195 days rather than 365. If we were to be on strike for the 195 days of a full academic year, we would not then expect to be paid for our holidays. We are expected to be available for work on 195 days of the year. There is no mention in teachers' terms and conditions that we are paid for holidays. Our salary is simply divided over 12 months. If we choose to NOT be available on one of those days, surely we should have pay docked by 1/195 of full salary.
    Similarly, if someone on a part-time contract (say 0.4) does extra days and gets paid overtime they are paid overtime at 1/195 of salary not 1/365. Surely the amount should be applied if they do not work a day?

19. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Teachers' terms and conditions specify 195 days at work and 1265 Directed Time Hours on those 195 days (for a full-timer) but there is alsio the clause about undertaking whatever work is needed outside those times in order to fulfill your teaching duties.
    A teacher is paid based on an average of 6.5 Directed Time Hours per day, for 195 days, but doesn't undertake 6.5 DT hours every school day as they work more than 6.5 on other specified days (parents' Evenings, departmental meeting days etc). Many teachers on strike on the 30th will not be withdrawing any more than their contact hours that day. To penalise them with a pay reduction of 1/195 would be harsh.
    Most teachers also give up some of their unpaid lunch breaks and after school time for clubs etc which are not part of their contracted duties. Some go on residential trips and lose evenings, weekends and even holiday periods.
    I suspect that any school attempting to claw back 1/195 from each striking teacher will notice a marked drop in good-will activities in the future.