1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Industrial Action and PPA

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by oliash, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I strongly believe everyone has a right to choose whether to support the strike action or not. I am an NUT member who chose not to strike today. Some of my colleagues did decide to strike, as is their right, including my Headteacher. I received an email from my head (who was on strike) this morning to tell me that my time today was to be used as extra PPA, and therefore my PPA time would be adjusted over the next couple of weeks to give the time back to striking colleagues who had lost their PPA time today. Please can anyone advise if this is acceptable and or legal. Thank you

2. I strongly believe everyone has a right to choose whether to support the strike action or not. I am an NUT member who chose not to strike today. Some of my colleagues did decide to strike, as is their right, including my Headteacher. I received an email from my head (who was on strike) this morning to tell me that my time today was to be used as extra PPA, and therefore my PPA time would be adjusted over the next couple of weeks to give the time back to striking colleagues who had lost their PPA time today. Please can anyone advise if this is acceptable and or legal. Thank you

3. That's not acceptable. Colleagues who had lost PPA time due to the strike?? I would say go to your union. Perhaps you could consider leaving the NUT and joining Voice and ask them their advice. (I like the idea of the NUT advising you on your rights when not striking. That would wind them up something rotten, I'd say.)

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Indeed. As a member of a union that voted to strike and relies on 'unity' from its members to do so in times of need, I don't like your chances of gaining union support at all. Even so, your headteacher is wrong to ask you to do this, and probably has envisaged that you have no where to go to for support.

5. Certainly against NAHT advice.