1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction year not completed since graduation in 2009

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Cailingohalainn, May 25, 2019.

1. Cailingohalainn

Cailingohalainn New commenter

Hi,
    I'm aware this is an unusual post but if anyone could give me any advice on this I would be hugely grateful.

I graduated with QTS from my PGCE in 2009 and didn't complete my induction. I started it but never finished it. I then returned to work in what I had originally qualified in (law), for 3 years, before taking a year out to travel and then deciding to live and work in the Middle East where I resumed teaching. I have been in an International school since 2014 and really love living here. Not having this Induction year done has not caused me any problems over here. My career in teaching has progressed, and I love my job. I am considering returning to the UK/Ireland at some stage in the future and the lack of this induction is always somewhere in the back of my mind. I am considering going to a BSO school to get the induction completed, as I have seen some people say they have done this. My big worry is that they will try and pay me as an NQT. Has anyone else been in the same boat as me and can give me any advice on what I need to do? Thanks so much in advance!

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Stay where you are is my advice

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you return after international school teaching, then an independent school would probably be your best bet here.
    They won't be so fussed about the lack of an induction year, your experience will count for much more.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

They might try and pay you on M1 anyway - at least if they decide you're an NQT you'd get a lighter timetable!

5. Cailingohalainn

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I suppose I should have made it a bit clearer. I know if I returned to the UK/Ireland they would most likely try and pay me on the lower pay scale since the Induction isn't completed (which really bothers me but anyway). I was more so wondering if an International school in the Middle East would also try and pay me on the lower pay scale too? Perhaps they would not take my years of teaching into account either? Was hoping someone might see this post, someone who has gone through the same thing as me.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Depends purely on the school. In England, bear in mind that you’d need to do the NQT now. That requires a reduced timetable. Even if you could negotiate a better package, this is a big reason why your pay will be towards the bottom end. Medium term though, once NQT is completed, you’d be in a stronger negotiating position with another school.

What’s the subject as well?

That is state. I agree with @caterpillartobutterfly the indie sector seems a more natural fit given your experience

7. Cailingohalainn

That's my concern. I know if I returned to England/Ireland then I would have to do this year and would be on the lower pay-scale. I just hoped someone who had been in the same position as me, working internationally, might see this post and be able to give me their own experience. Greatly appreciate all that took the time to reply to me here.
    I am Primary school qualified. I know if it were a more in demand subject (Math, Physics etc) I would have a bit more leverage. Unfortunately, it's not. Thanks again for the advice here everyone.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Pay isn't always related to whether or not you have completed your NQT year.
    Apply for posts in the private sector and negotiate.

There is no national pay scale and schools will pay you what they think you are worth. It is up to you to show why you are worth what you'd like to earn.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

I love peakster's advice. Stay where you are. I know someone who taught for 25 years in international schools and independent schools. He never completed his nqt year as his first job was at Harrow Girls school. It is a suppliers market today, that means if you are desperate to come back, you are in a strong position to say, if you don't wish to match my current salary we will agree for me to depart now.

10. Fleecyblanket

Fleecyblanket New commenter

I am confused by the OP's comments "...and didn't complete my induction. I started it but didn't finish it" I thought once you had started your induction it had to be completed in a certain amount of time.