1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction vs Caesarean

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by betty73, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Hi, I am looking for some insight from some experienced ladies!
    I have been told that due to a medical condition that I will either be induced or given a caesarean at 38 weeks and I have a choice which one.
    I know that both have their own positives and negatives but I am looking to hear about other ladies experiences so that I can make a more informed decision!
    My midwife and the hospital have given me info etc but what I want to know is what it was like for others, is the pain worse? Were there any complications? Were your babies ok? How long was the labour or proceedures? What was recovery like? How long were you kept in hospital afterwards?
    Please be honest, i'm not squeemish and would rather have gory details than someone telling me white lies to not worry me!
    Thanks ladies! [​IMG]

2. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Have they said which induction method they will use?

3. I was given a choice between a stablised induction or a section (this was around my due date) due to unstable lie and polyhyrdramnius (sp). I only had a day or two to actually think about my options and really didnt know what to do. The consultant performed an internal examination to check my cervix and when I nearly leapt off the bed in pain, that's when I decided to have a c-section. (Not the most thorough of decision making processes!)
    However, I do believe in my case that the induction would not have worked and I would have ended up having a c-section anyway, so thats something you may wish to consider. In the end, my baby turned out to be 9lbs 13oz and had his head wedged so far into my hip that a natural birth would not have been possible in any wa given that they had to use forceps to yank his head out.
    A c-section is not an easy choice by any means I must say, it is terrifying and it is major surgery with a lengthy recovery period. I would say the decision should rest on the medical condition and the likelihood of ending up having to have a c-section (if induction fails). I just didn't want to end up having gone through hours of labour to then be whisked into an EMCS.

4. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

Just to share my experience. I had no choice but to have an elective c section at 39 weeks and it was fine. The first few days were the worst for recovery but you are given proper pain relief and lots to take home. I was never in more than just discomfort, as the pain was managed well. I waited 6 weeks before driving and I was careful about lifting but I didn't really want to go many places in the first few weeks anyway.
    The surgery is nerve racking of course, especially the anticipation, but it was made calm for us and I took some music in with me. The anaesthetist took our camera and took some nice photos too. I was able to breast feed while I was still being stitched up!
    I do have a scar but it is on the knicker line and doesn't bother me. My lady bits are all still intact which is a big bonus!

The only downsides were not being able to get out of the hospital bed to pick up my baby without calling for a midwife and the biggest disadvantage was that it takes longer in some cases for c section mother's proper breast milk to come in. I didn't know about that and baby lost weight and had to be topped up with formula. Milk eventually came in but has never been a huge supply, but I am BF with just small formula top ups.

If I was pregnant again, I would seriously consider another c section!

5. I am pregnant and after everything I have learnt through NCT and ante-natal classes if I had to make this difficult decision I would go for induction because at least there is still the chance of a natural birth. With a planned c-section you miss out on some of the natural hormones that are produced during labour. Also c-section is major surgery which is something I would rather avoid, giving birth is a natural bodily function.

6. I only needed the pessary for induction and I managed with a hot water bottle and paracetamol for most of iy with gas and air at the end. I am pretty good with pain though.
    I had a haemorrage, retained membranes but that was because of a quick labour rather than induction I think (my mum also had quick labours)
    Absolutely fine, cord 2 x round neck but she was fine
    Dilating for 12h (very little pain, odd twinge. Active labour 43 mins!
    Same as for anyone else with a vaginal birth I guess
    4 days because of haemorrage/low iron and problems following catheter plus I wanted to establish feeding.
    That was 10 weeks ago and I now have a perfectly healthy daughter who is exclusively breastfed and thriving.

7. Just wanted to add something, hope that's ok. I haven't been induced or had a c section but thought this might be worth considering in your decision. I had an assisted delivery 4 weeks ago, started naturally but ended up needing the drip to improve contractions and then had forceps/episiotomy (sp!) as baby wasn't coming out quick enough. (had been pushing for 2hrs plus). I am still physically recovering now, and was in agony from stitches/swelling for at least 2 weeks. I still can't drive and a few of my stitches have 'dropped' leaving me open to infection etc. combined with the piles and constipation caused by breastfeeding, things have been pretty painful. The reason I share all this is don't assume because you choose a natural birth that the recovery period will be quicker/less awkward than a c section. It really depends on your labour. A lot of inductions do require intervention at some point to get things moving I think, which can lead to further intervention etc etc. its a tough choice to make, good luck with it!
    Houston

8. Well what a dilemma! If only you had a crystal ball and knew the outcome then the decision would be simple. I suppose the point is that it'll be different for everyone. How can you possibly know which one will be better for you? I was induced and then had emcs. I was in hospital for a long time beforehand and had a bizzare combination of issues that wouldn't be helpful to go into here. I suppose being induced could be the worst few days of your life- but there is less potential for scarring etc. it may also affect how you wish to give birth subsequently. For me being induced was hideous, but my ceserean scar is not that neat either- worst of both worlds! Good luck with your decision. Just think- a few months after the event you won't care that much what happened and will be snuggling up with your lovely baby.

9. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I was induced at 38 weeks for medical reasons. I didn't find labour to be particularly painful (I've had more painful periods). But after pushing for a couple of hours and baby resolutely staying inside, I had an emergency c-section.
    The c-section was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I had baby at teatime and was up and about the following morning - which was a feat in itself as I'd been unable to walk unaided for the previous 8 months.
    I remember reading a pregnancy and birth magazine just after having baby and a woman who'd had a c-section who couldn't get off the sofa without help for 10 days after! And I wondered how this could happen, as I was managing fine!
    However, I had just spent the previous 8 months in a lot of pain and being barely able to walk - so my pain threshold was probably higher!
    With hindsight, I should have probably elected a c-section but had been slightly brainwashed into wanting to deliver baby 'naturally' (as naturally as possible given the induction!!) And in the unlikely event of me having another baby, I'd definitely choose a c-section!

10. I have three friends who were induced at 42 weeks with first babies... Two were in labour for 36 and 48 hours respectively before delivering 'naturally' and the other ended up with emcs. Of course some people are lucky but I think as someone else said successful inductions are likely to be just before labour is about to start naturally. In terms of breastfeeding I have had seriously low supply after 2 spontaneous normal deliveries. From what I understand if you are lucky and the pessary works it is like a normal labour but if not more painful. Of course the pain isnt really a problem as you can have an epidural (and if it dragged on as above you would blardy need one.) To be honest all this NCT promoting natural everything personally gets on my nerves as it just sets women up to fail in my opinion. How many people conceive easily, go into spontaneous labour, deliver normally without pain relief and breastfeed successfully for 6 months? Not many! I dont think its an easy choice at all Betty.

11. Thank you so much for all the comments ladies! Sorry for not posting before now but I haven't been very well this week again - it's all for a good cause though!
    It's such a tough decision, i'm under three different consultants and each of them has a different opinion which makes me more confused! The one I saw on Friday is VERY much against caesareans and told me that it is far too risky a proceedure and that she won't even let me consider going down that route....hmmmmmmm! I'm seeing my midwife tomorrow so i'm going to speak to her about it.
    At the end of the day, I don't want to be induced and then nothing to happen and for my baby to get distressed and for me to end up having an emergency caesarean. The baby is already big and at our scan on Friday they said she will be over 9lbs at birth...eeeek! Both myself and my husband are tall and broad and so I am worried she will get stuck on the way out!!! I'm also worried that my medical problems will make labour more difficult for me but on the other hand, I love the idea of giving birth naturally and that would have been my first choice had it not been for the need for induction!
    Your experiences have really helped me though and hearing botht he positive and negative experiences of both options is really helpful as I like to have the whole picture with these things! Please keep adding your experiences!
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]
    Betty (29 weeks)

12. Hmmmmm indeed, its great when HCPs treat pregnant women like children isnt it? At 38 weeks your baby would be smaller than at 41 or 42 weeks so that might actually help.... Plus if you are both tall and broad it is less likely to be a problem than if you were 5'0, size 6 and married to a rugby player. Scans are not meant to be that accurate in predicting baby weight. How you feel about it, eg is it important to you to experience labour or not? My friend who had the emcs was glad she had laboured - labour and birth can be very emotional and I think it importsnt to pay attention to the feelings that you have. FWIW if I was you I would prob go for induction and hope I was one of the lucky ones.

13. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I had the emergency c-section, but baby wasn't distressed - she was just too bloomin comfy! My section was actually delayed because she was OK so another lady took priority. Like Brettgirl's friend, I'm glad I laboured as it was quite a wonderful experience!
    One of my consultants reckoned baby would be 8lbs at 38 weeks - she was 8lbs 5 ozs.

14. I was very much hoping for a natural birth, was adamant I didn't want induction or c-section and wrote that all over my birth plan. Sometimes nature has other plans for us though!
    My waters broke, and 2 days later was only in latent labour with mild contractions and not dilating. They gave me 2 pessaries, both which fell out after 1 hour when I went to the loo, so obviously didn't work.
    So then had to be induced with Sentocynon (sp?) drip, was warned by midwife that it produces 'fast and furious' synthetic contractions, due to increasing doses of the drug, plus your own contractions kick in. They told me I was welcome to have an epidural at any time, and had the gas and air placed next to me. However, I had a Natal Hypnotherapy CD that I had on repeat play during the 14 hour labour on the drip, and although the contractions were intense I honestly found it ok sitting on the birthing ball the whole time, the CD really got me in 'the zone'- would recommend it to anyone! Didn't even need gas and air and had a totally silent birth, didn't literally make a sound or speak unless I really had to!
    However, it was all for nothing really as after the 14 hours I was still only 7cm dilated, baby was in awkward position, and due to risk of infection to baby they strongly recommended c-section. Even though I'd been so desperate to avoid it, by then I accepted it. And it honestly was nowhere near as bad as expected. The team of doctors etc were just amazing, made me laugh and felt totally safe. The few days after you are sore, but just take all the painkillers they offer you, even if you feel ok at the time, the regular doses keep pain at bay. Of course, if you have a vaginal birth and tear/are cut you may have pain that way too.
    For the next baby, I really think I will opt for a C-section, as if it just ends up being one anyway, may as well save my energy that I would waste when being induced that doesn't work... a large % of inductions result in c-sections anyway. The most annoying thing about c sec was not driving for 4 weeks, scar headled up amazingly quickly.
    I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you hun. Main thing is that baby gets here safely.

15. Due to breech baby, I'm having to have a c-section in a couple of weeks time so it was good to hear stories (good & bad) of c-sections.
    All I can say is that last time, after going into labour naturally, I was a right mess after ventouse and episiotomy (as one PP mentioned too). I had been pushing for 2 1/2 hours and he was stuck back-to-back so I needed assistance. He was 9lbs 14oz so quite a big lad. Anyway, afterwards I was a mess down below. I could hardly, sit, stand, walk, poo (sorry if TMI) for about 3 or 4 weeks afterwards and I was on constant painkillers. The only comfortable position was lying on my side.

I really wanted t avoid a section but hey-ho that's what's happening. I'm expecting it to be worse but to tell you the truth this pregnancy has been one issue after the next and I've been on crutches for SPD since before Xmas (excruciating pain btw) and for the last two weeks my ab muscles have been separating (big ouch!) due to position and size of baby (expected to be approx 12lbs at dd). At least I'll be able to take pain killers after he's out. And could you imagine the damage downstairs after popping out a whopper?
    I don't know which is best./easier, but I know a vaginal birth is certainly not always a walk in the park.

16. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

induction means you are at a much higher risk of needing an intervention of some sort, potetntially c-sec