1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

induction v c section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by soscared, Mar 29, 2012.

  1. I'm going in tomorrow to be induced but have been told my cervix isn't ready. I am fine with the initial stages of induction but wondered if I could refuse the drip. My sister went through with it and baby suffered complications. I would rather attempt induction but if its not happening skip the drip and go for a c section. Anyone who has read about this will know there are more risks to the child if the drip is used. However, will midwife/doctor agree to this?
  2. Hi,
    midwife/doctor cannot force anything onto you - so if you say no to drip then they can't put it in you. That is final. I would stick with what you feel comfortable with and I agree I am intending on refusing induction (if she doesn't come before) as I too have read the risks and have already decided I would prefer a c-section.
    So you decide what happens to your body and no midwife or doctor can make you do anything you do not want to do.
    Hope this helps :)
  3. I think that they don't have a choice. You are perfectly entitled to refuse the drip. As they are obviously inducing you for a reason they are not going to want to leave you pregnant. If you are willing to have a c-section then that is surely the best alternative for them?
    Good luck!
  4. the NICE guidelines state that a pregnant woman is entitled to refuse any and all treatment even if the medical professionals think it would be beneficial to the woman and/or her baby.
    i flat out refused an induction as i read about the risks associated with inducing first time mothers before 41 weeks and for me, that just was not something i would put myself through.
    they tried to bully and scare me with statistics and even implied my refusal to be induced could mean my baby died and i pointed out that i had not refused to let them do a CS if the baby was in trouble and i would expect them to do one if the need arose but an induction was not an option.
    if your cervix is unfavourable and you don't want to try an induction just say no. if they are that concerned about getting your baby out ASAP then they will do a CS.
    good luck x
  5. naomi58

    naomi58 New commenter

    What are the risks associated with induction? I don't think i know enough about this!
  6. I didn't realise there were so many risks involved with induction either. Having just had c-section, I wouldn't choose to have one again (if!) we have another child although the recover has been much easier than I expected. Its not as bad as you're led to believe but, personally, I just felt I missed out on the 'birth' experience that I had with my first son. however, the important thing is that mum & baby are safe, and you seem well informed of both scenarios so do what you feel happy with. Good luck with the birth x
  7. chocolateheaven

    chocolateheaven New commenter

    I had an induction with no issues. What are the risks? Knew there was higher risk of needing medical intervention, but are there more risks than that?
  8. My fourth baby was induced, they just broke the waters and the rest happened on its own - no drip - are you sure they're using the drip approach?
  9. Thank you ladies, your kind words have been really helpful. Will give you all update when I can. No progress as of yet and no drip!
  10. according to the statistics i found in first time mothers induced before 41 weeks there's a 65% chance of intervention in the form of episiostomy, forceps, ventouse or EMCS. i decided with those odds i'd rather just go straight to the CS than via induction.
    good luck soscared - i had what they called a spontaneous vaginal delivery after all the battles with the consultants and it was fine, my friend had an EMCS after a 52 hr failed induction and she was up and about the following day and said it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be.
  11. Chica77

    Chica77 New commenter

    I was induced with my 2nd baby at 11 days overdue. I went in at 8:30pm and was told that my cervix was totally closed. I was given a pessary ( a little tablet thing) at about 11pm and then again at 6:30am. Labour started about 3 hours after that. My labour was 4 hours 21 minutes with no complications and I was home 6 hours after giving birth.
    They told me that they'd give me the drip if something like 48 hours worth of pessaries didn't work.
    Good luck!
  12. JodiP

    JodiP Occasional commenter

    I was induced - hell doesn't even come close to what it was like, 3 days of labour, failed ventouse and then emergency caesarean! Not good - am pregnant now and will refuse an induction, go straight to CS
  13. I was induced with no problems (baby now 4 months) due to pre-eclampsia at 40+0, I only needed the pessary. My friend was induced with a drip at 40+2 because her waters broke and nothing happened, she had no problems either. My mum was induced with both me and my sis with no problems. When I was told they were inducing me I was terrified but I really wouldn't have wanted a C section.
  14. chocolateheaven

    chocolateheaven New commenter

    I was induced at 37+4 due to diabetes. I had my waters broken and a drip put up. Had a very intense, very wonderful labour. I know that not all inductions go well, or are as easy as mine, but think that every method of delivering babies comes with its own set of horror stories. I wanted to give birth naturally if I could, and would always opt to try induction before going straight for C sec. Just me, each to their own. Maybe I was lucky - but my experience tells me that not all inductions are bad/difficult.
  15. hhhh

    hhhh Star commenter

    I found them very anti CS.But that was over a year ago and I believe the NHS has changed and women are now allowed to choose (unlike when I had my first, can you believe it was in the 21st century!)
    But then I went into spontaneous labour so it wasn't an issue, and ended up with an emergency CS, lol
  16. violingirl

    violingirl New commenter

    I had a planned CS due to placenta praevia and it was fine and I recovered well.
  17. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    I was induced with my first when I was 10 days overdue.
    My waters were broken at about 10 or 10.30 am, a drip was set up and my 8lb 15oz son was born at 1.30pm.
    I needed an episiotomy as labour was so quick and he was so big but I felt nothing as they gave me a local anaesthetic.
    This was in 1979 and I found it so easy that I wondered what all the fuss was about from other people's accounts of labour. I had just 4 really painful contractions that were over quite quickly. I can remember wishing I'd been expecting twins as I could have done it all again immediately!
    Next baby was stillborn at 24 weeks.
    My next daughter was an emergency caesarian (followed by an emergency hysterectomy for me) at 27 weeks gestation, weighing 2lbs 2 oz, dropping to 1lb 15 oz after 6 days. I had placenta accreta, the same condition that Amanda Holden had with her recent pregnancy.
    I bounced back quickly from the caesarian/hysterectomy. Tummy was sore and I had to be careful about not lifting things but I had no problems sitting down, which was a tricky issue for several weeks after my episiotomy was stitched up.
    Baby was in SCBU for 3 months so I was fully recoverd by the time she came home, weighing 5lbs 1 oz at 3 months old. I'd have needed help caring for the baby if she'd been full-term and coming home when I did.

Share This Page