1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction time limit

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Misskdjones, May 25, 2020.

1. Misskdjones

Misskdjones New commenter

Hi,

I have read lots of confusing and contradictory advice regarding the time limit on NQTs to complete the induction.

I know there isn't a time limit to START the induction, but what if you have already started your induction?
    I completed 1 term in a school (Sep - Jan) in a temporary (non-supply) position. I have been working as a long-term supply teacher since Feb. Unfortunately the school weren't able to let this period count towards my induction due to costs and so technically I have still only completed 1 term towards my NQT year.
    Is there a 5-year time limit? I also read that there is a 2-year time limit. Do i only have 4 academic years left? Or 1 year? If I can't find a position in that time, will I not be able to work in schools after that time?

None of the statutory guidance clears this up and naturally, I'm quite worried.

Thank you in advance for any advice you could give.

2. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

The 5 year time limit is on short term supply without nqt. Not sure on a limit for NQT?

Misskdjones likes this.
  3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

As far as I am aware, the only time limit is that after five years any supply work done has to be at least a term long so that it can count towards the NQT year. I completed two terms of my NQT by July 2014, tried to complete at one school in November of he same tear and tried again at another school in September 2015 (long story).