1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction Review update

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by historygrump, Jun 22, 2011.

1. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial;" id="Table1"><tr><td colspan="2">
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">This is the latest update from the Dept of Education on the proposed review of the induction period.
    Thank you for your email of the 27 May 2011 about why the induction period should be brought into line with the rest of the United Kingdom.

We have now concluded the informal information gathering stage of our work on reviewing the induction regulations. Your comments from earlier correspondence, together with those of the many others who have written to the Department about induction, have been taken into account. A formal consultation on proposed changes to the induction arrangements is due to take place in the autumn. All those interested will be able to register their views. We will publicise the relevant information on the Department's website shortly.
    </td></tr></table>

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Its a start [​IMG] fingers crossed

3. Thank you for the information, we (myself, other university tutors and school partners) have been working in the background to point out the flaws and inconsistencies in the induction process in the various countries. This includes the 16 month rule.
    Once the consultation is out I will be submitting comments from my perspective as the induction 'agony uncle' for the TES as well as from the perspective of my role in initial teacher training.
    James

4. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

Thank you James. I am an active campaigner on a number of issues from the induction to the use of support to teach. However on the induction issue, I was amazed when the Dept of Education claimed that they did not know that Wales and Scotland had the induction period extended to 5 years in 2005. I think this review should focus on a number of options and you may disagree with me on this.
    1. Return to the system that operated prior to 1999, due to the large numbers of unemployed and NQT's seeking work, and working on supply. It is crucial that we do not lose this skilled workforce and at least on supply they are still building on their training with practical experience. Crucially the system worked, in that you only did an induction once you gained a full-time post, considering the number of teachers chasing each post with on average 100 for every secondary and 200 for each primary post, this must be considered, when you also consider that according to the ONS there are around 49,000 unemployed teachers, with another 51,000 working supply, including around 4,000 NQT's.
    2. Bring England in line with Wales and Scotland, and adopt the 5 year period they can work, before they require to have completed an induction. This would finally bring equality to the whole system. However this poses the question what about the thousands of teachers that have qualified since 2005 and 2011, and have been forced out of education due to working supply or 1 term and as a result have been unable to do an induction due to the lack of jobs. As in point 1 this group position must be addressed, due to grant one off exemption for these NQT's due to the inequality of the induction period or do you just write them off?
    I believe that once a person qualifies they are a trained teacher, due to the nature of the training and strict observations/passes needed to qualify. So to write off thousands of NQT's because they qualified at the wrong time, with the rise of the unqualified support staff teaching and the lack of jobs, would be morally wrong.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you are used to Gove speak then it translates as
    We will talk with supporters of our educational plans. Anybody else can submit gripes on our website where they can be easily deleted.
    There may be some modifications particularly to the 16 month limit but the induction process will continue more or less as it stands- there will still be the stautory requirement to complete an induction. In addition it could be found that the legislation would only apply to NQTs from a future date. There are many examples of previous regulations continuing to apply as they were the requirements at the time of training.