1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction Prospects

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ellis1912, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I have just left my first school after a serious bout of bullying. I have successfully completed my first two terms induction with outstanding reports filed to the LEA. I now have one term left, however I understand that leaving through induction is not well received by future employers. What are my prospects of landing a full time job at another school when the next cycle starts for December? Should I attach my LEA reports to my application etc or will I not have any chance? The only other issue is I took 30 days sick leave at the end due to the bullying. The Head is very supportive and my references are excellent from the school, I have even been paid over the summer. What things could I do to improve my chances? Any advice greatly received.

2. I have just left my first school after a serious bout of bullying. I have successfully completed my first two terms induction with outstanding reports filed to the LEA. I now have one term left, however I understand that leaving through induction is not well received by future employers. What are my prospects of landing a full time job at another school when the next cycle starts for December? Should I attach my LEA reports to my application etc or will I not have any chance? The only other issue is I took 30 days sick leave at the end due to the bullying. The Head is very supportive and my references are excellent from the school, I have even been paid over the summer. What things could I do to improve my chances? Any advice greatly received.

3. As far as I know, taking more than 29 absences during your NQT year means that you need an extension in order to pass induction so bring this to the LEA's attention ASAP. (Your induction period is extended by the number of days absence).
    You will have no problem finding a post for a term to finish your induction, then after that you will be a recently qualified teacher, which is all employers will want to know. No you don't attach anything to the application form apart from the application letter. It will probably come up at interview that you need an extension due to absences, so you'll have to be honest about that.

4. In my experience (I mentor NQTs in my school), there is no problem at all with completing your NQTS year in a different school. In fact, I will have a new teacher doing just this in September. Previous poster is right about the 30 days thing. Be positive and good luck!

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

What makes you think that?
    Induction terms do not have to correlate to school terms.
    You can strat Induction at any point of the school year, as long as it is intended that the employment will last until at least the same point in the following school term (so mid-October until mid-February, for example).
    Your final Induction term will only be signed off after you have served the missing days (30, plus any more that you have off work in the final term). You could still take a post intended to last for just a term's length, be registered for Induction, and hope that you are kept on long enough to complete the number of days required (it could be through being assigned to a different timetable for the remaining weeks).
    If you get a permanent post, you will simply stay on a 10% reduced timetable for more than a term's length, be assessed for Induction and carry on with a standard timetable if you pass.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Securing another post is a matter of the quality of your application and/or any opportunities you land via supply work. Having 2 terms meeting the standard plus good references will obviously help. Just having one term to complete for induction is a definite benefit which you should emphasise. September is a notoriously fallow period for teaching work however. Most schools are fully staffed and demand for supply only begins to kick in once the bugs hit the teaching staff. Vacancies do crop up for January in line with the October resignation date particularly where there is an expanding school population and demand for extra classes/subjects.

7. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I thought this was terminal to be honest so we shall see although I understand bullying is quite prevalent in teaching, particularly amongst NQT's an there was a Guardian article recently about this kind of situation. Not sure on my days yet, my old mentor seemed to think I only have one term to complete induction so might be below the 30 day limit as I went home one day so that might be classed as a work and not absence day.

8. It is important that the absences are accurately recorded and the LA is aware of them, the 29 or 30 days is crucial. Even on 29 days, it is not an autopmatic right, there have to be exceptional circumstances why you cannot catch up any missed days, so theLA may well want you to make up missed days, but if it is 30 then it will be a whole term. Do check this and liaise with the LA.
    The Sage

9. Thanks for this - would 30 days not just be an additional 6 weeks rather than a full term? i.e. make up the missing time and once the 30 additional days is done then induction is complete?