1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction programme

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by tamtams, Jul 19, 2008.

1. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

On a recent application form I have just received from a high school, criteria states completion of DfES Teacher Assistant Induction programme, and this will be measured by a test at interview. I have never had this requested before, is it because it is for a high school, as I have only ever worked in primary and junior schools, and my cache level 3 ta qualification has allways been enough. Is it therefore a waste of time me applying. Thank you for any advice.

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

On a recent application form I have just received from a high school, criteria states completion of DfES Teacher Assistant Induction programme, and this will be measured by a test at interview. I have never had this requested before, is it because it is for a high school, as I have only ever worked in primary and junior schools, and my cache level 3 ta qualification has allways been enough. Is it therefore a waste of time me applying. Thank you for any advice.

3. No This is a good course which (for the primary one) includes modules on all aspects of the primary curriculum and on behaviour and SEN. It is usually 5 (intensive) days and covers more than you would cover in a course lasting much longer. I mentor TAs doing this course. You have to be employed as a TA to do it and sponsored/mentored by your school- you can't just go and do it as it has to be put on by an LA. It is a condition of employment for our TAs that they do this course in the first year of their emplyment with us regardless of any other qualifications they have. It has the advantage of being updated regularly ie now includes a module on Letters and Sounds and the tutors always have very recent experience of schools -unlike some of those running NVQ courses in our local college many of whom have not been near a classroom for years- some have no understanding at all of recent (ie last 10years ) developments in education.

nlatif01 likes this.
  4. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

NZDOC thank you for your reply. I should have explained myself more clearly, when I said should I apply, I meant for the high school job. The school I was at up untill yesterday did not renew my 1-1 contract (lack of funds), I was only told a couple of weeks ago for definate that I would be finishing so consequently I am jobless. But hopefull not for long.

5. I would put your application in, but include in it what you said in your post - that it has not been required before but you would be willing to do it as soon as you can get a place.

nlatif01 likes this.
  6. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

jacspeedy thank you. The query I have is that the application says a test on the DfES inducton programme, wouldn't they through out my application on this basis that I havn't even done it.

7. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

throw even

8. That's a weird thing to say for a TA interview (the part about the test).

It's definately worth applying for the job as you must already have lots of experience & with a level 3 qualification (despite the tutors being out of date!) you must have learned something. In my (humble) opinion you sound like an ideal candidate.

Just a thought for your application, mention why you'd like to work in a high school seeing as you haven't worked in one before (i.e. not just that you need any job even if it's true!). When we were looking thru applications recently, the one's we chose were those who had a clear work history & also an idea of where they wanted to go next & WHY.

9. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

cyclechick. Thank you. I am going to apply,and just see what happens. It is very far away distance wise, but I cannot bare the thought of not having a Ta job. Thank you again.