1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction process...is this legal?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Waterfin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Just something that has annoyed me for a little while about the Primary that my daughter attends...
    Nursery induction...half of the class in on alternate days for a week or so, then all in. This makes sense to me as they are getting used to regularly attending school.
    Reception (in a school where 99% of the kids go straight from Nursery to the reception class next door)...In for alternate days for the part week that follows the training days, and then three full weeks following that. These are children who are used to attending Nursery every day and now can only attend every other day for the full three weeks. As a parent it makes no sense to me, and if these children are entitled to a full time education at that point many parents at the school have wondered (me included) whether this is legal/right.
    A head's perspective would be interesting.
    Thanks.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Not my area.. but at a guess it's hours over a year that calculate up to a reception aged childs 'entitlement'. Either that or that the requirement is 15 hours per week at that age?

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Technically it's full time school from a child's 5th birthday. So if your child is 5 you've a stronger case. I can empathise, they did this at my daughter's school ( well a similar process) which meant it was the 6th week of term before she attended full time. I raised it with the head and was told that the school wasn't run to meet the needs of the parents ( never mind the confusion it caused daughter, the inconvenience and the unecessary childcare costs).
    If you've had a word with the head and got nowhere, put it in writing and ask for a response. Encourage others to
    do the same if they're not happy. But only when they've expressed concern to the head. Transition should be managed carefully but this sounds totally ott!
    The year after my daughter started they altered transition arrangements, so you might be helping out other children in future.

4. My nursery have one half day alternately then all in on day 3. Reception all start same as main school. Very experienced staff who know what they are doing with very high expectations. Never been a problem in the five years where I am. I think if you start the children on this routine from the beginning they are more settled than bits of days here and there,
    in my old school the reception didnt do a full week until nearly October. I could never understand that but a school with quite low expectations overall.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The best way to manage transition is to provide a wealth of opportunities for the children to visit and spend time in the Reception class before the starting date, not after.

6. If you get nowhere with the HT try writing to the Chair of Governors and/or the Admissions Dept of the Local Authority.
    As a primary HT I agree with cg this is way over the top.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Quite so - the school is run to provide full-time education for the over 5s! Lazy beggars.

8. Thanks for all the replies. My daughter is an late Sept birthday, so there were definitely weeks when she was over 5 and not in full time education.
    I have approached the school and have pretty much had the same "our transition programme is set up to meet the needs of the children, not the parents so we are not changing" response in the past. If the child was one of the younger ones in reception, or had not attended full time nursery then I might see their point, but not with one of the oldest children who is raring to go and has been attending that school daily already. It also stands as stark contrast to the neighbouring primary in the village who has the eldest in on the first day, a few more in on the next day and all in on the last day.
    Selfishly, now my children are passed reception age, it seems petty for me to pursue the matter without appearing to be one of 'those' parents.

9. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My own school with a nursery and my children's school without a nursery do half days until dinner for the part week, half days including dinner for 1 week then all in. My nursery takes children in 3-5 a day so all in after 2 weeks. This works well as lunch time is the most stressful time for reception. Also we tried to have all nursery in over 2 days and it was a nightmare, despite all our induction arrangements prior to starting. 1 child crying sets another 7 off. We ended up with an extended unsettled class for all of the first half term. Our current procedure ensures all children can be settled individually and we rarely have upset children. It is unrealistic to have all children in on the first day, but 6 weeks is taking the mick! I think the issue with reception has been more difficult since single entry occurred. 10-15 years ago there could be up to 3 entries, so you didnt have children turning 4 on the last day of august and starting full time school the next day.

10. This issue has always annoyed me. It goes hand in hand with the whole foundation stage philosophy that treats 4 and 5 year olds as imbeciles. It is a very middle-class notioned view of children ie the precious child can't stand to be away from mother for more than a few minutes. Also because children spend most of their reception life roaming and flitting from one undemanding activity to another it is harder to cater for 30 all at once. Remember children are not expected to sit, listen amd learn for any great length of time at this age. Apparently they learn all they need to through play. It is also a cop out for reception teachers who never tire of telling us all they are the most overworked in the profession.

11. Total guff!
    I always thought it was secondary teacers!!!!!!!!!
    Perhaps the reception teacers in your school are that poor, however mine are very hard working and challenge the children, who, in turn, make great progress.

12. if i knew my boy had nothing to worry about id be ok. example.most recent incdent the 3 amigos my boy and the 2 best boy budds always together.my boy asks4 private mum 2 son chat.Now i trust my boy& had given him permission for 1st trip to city with his mate on the bus alone.when he opened the door &said "sorry i just wanna hang with mum "instead of 100 &skating?anyway,kid has been beating up young asian kids,hed had been telling rumours hes sexually active, his swearing was to much for the other 2 to take,&they were telling giving him warning 3 next day not 2 be around them as long hes like that.
    " mum can i talk to u privately please,what can we do?high schol next year if the teachers hear him swearing with us we get in trouble?" sound like a typical13 yr 7 boy to you?i nearly fell over .then said usual.i wont "tell him what he must do.ill tell what i think & i trust in his choices they spoke to the teachers before the other boy just in case. "
    There was a big fight of course,the boy hit my son in the belly my son wouldnt hit back because he was going to hurt him so he was laghing and leting him get anger out. which made him really mad. THERE WAS A TEACHER WATCHING ALL OF THIS. ? Why do i find out from other mothers?This boy suspended yes ,it shouldnt have started.its frustrating. i shouldnt have to be worried like this.
    my school days were abusive and my boys have lived a nightmare their teachers have prob never even read in there books. its not really there concern is it?

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'm sure your predicament is unpleasant but I'm not sure how it relates to the OP. Speak to the school.

14. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Please don't tell me mscooperholy is a teacher..... God help us.

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I doubt it, she sounds like a disgruntled parent who needs to address the issues she has with the school in question. Ranting on a headteacher forum might make her feel better but it won't change anything.

16. Ooo...didn't realise this had been bumped back to the top....however randomly.
    Interestingly, my daughter's school have a slightly different arrangement this year. Full first week in alternate days, all in on the Friday. None of the other three weeks usually spent in this fashion.
    Guess who is coming to school at the end of September?

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

How do they know? Unless they're in a category?

18. Times have changed. Many children are used to long hours of childcare by school age and reception teaching is thankfully reformed to meet the learning needs of the very young very well. I tell all YR parents that school takes place all day from day one. The day is paced well and children cope very well. Some choose a shorter week but this rarely lasts long as children want to come to school. Helping parents cope is key & daily coffee mornings away from class and laughter help alot. I would insist on some reform on the part of the school. Old fashioned and not justified.