1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction part time?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by sensei123, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I've completed one term of induction but have not got another term set up yet. I have been offered part time work at a lovely school (I have covered a half term and day to day cover for them before) 2 and a half days a week for half a term.
    The school have said that depending on funding they may be able to keep me on for another half term afterwards.
    I have indicated that I am very keen to complete more of my induction period as my extensions for supply work run out end of December, so I will be unable to work as a supply teacher after that unless I get at least a terms worth of work.
    School cannot afford to pay me any more hours - I have offered to go in for 3 days a week (but only get paid for 2 and a half) if it means they could offer induction. I figure I'm not going to get any supply for half a day anyway.
    I wondered what the protocol is for completing induction part time? I've heard that it takes 2 terms instead of 1?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The minimum induction assessment period is one term so if you are on hlaf timetable then the period would be 2 terms. The TDA website has an induction calculator to help. Your induction 10% release time also is pro rata as part of that 2.5 days do beware working for nothing, schools are very good at taking!

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's not how many days per week that they employ you but whether it is known from the start of the placement (or a later point in the employment) that they intend to employ you for at least a term's length (from the start or from the later point). If that is the case, they HAVE TO put you on Induction, with a 10% reduced timetable, even if you can't build up an Induction term without the placement lasting even longer.
    The idea is that you will be planning and assessing regular classes over a sustained period (for monitoring progress) and the placement , with those or other classes (another teacher off sick) might be extended.and allow an Induction term to be completed.
    If the school can only promise you half a term of work (whether f/t or p/t) you can't be registered as an NQT with the LA and the work cannot be part of Induction ... so no 10% timetable reduction.