1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction/NQT year not recorded after 13 years. Has this happened to you?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Valerie1125, Jan 28, 2016.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Your number is the one that you were allocated when you gained QTS after your successful training period. That's the number used when you are registered for the Induction process.

Are you in a Union? Use their clout to get the situation sorted a.s.ap with the LA.

2. Valerie1125

Valerie1125 New commenter

Dear All.

I realise it's been over 2 years since I started this post.

Since then I did supply work (teaching Assistant) but last year, I eventually managed to get a teaching role (PT, 0.5; Maternity cover) I had countless e-mail conversations with my local LEA and the NCTL where I explained my situation. To cut a long story short, it was eventually agreed that a reduced NQT induction period (1 term) would be fine.
    Now, I'm reaching the end of this contract and because of yet another miscommunication error, I am to complete the whole NQT year again. I have passed Assesment 1 (well, done it again) and the best part of an interim one.
    I have an e-mail thread conversation saying that one term would rectify the situation (prior to me taking on the role).
    I have worked a whole year at my present school, taken a drastic pay cut (back on basic salary) and yet my hierarchy are still debating whether to grant me this reduced induction time...
    I evently asked for my Union to be envolved.
    I have proof that I went through the induction period back in 2002 and that a reduced period would suffice; what can I do next?

I also appreciate the fact that so many are in the same situation...

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Complain again.. with menace... particularly if the appropriate body agreed to a reduced induction period.
    Get your Union to do something if they do not then ditch them and use the subscription fee towards seeking legal advice.

4. welshwizard

To add - it is the case that there are administrative errors where induction is not properly recorded but the guidance is clear about the process where errors can be readdressed.
    You can also formally complain to the NCTL

5. Valerie1125

Thank you Welshwizard.
    I will do this, I have never thought of complaining to the NCTL...
    I believe that I have worked really hard to rectify this situation; I've been moved from pillar to post. I am not by nature a confrontational person, but I will not back down.

6. kezwickdoo

kezwickdoo New commenter

I am in the same situation .Ten years teaching now no one can find evidence of me completing an induction year. Surely someone is responsible for sending the evidence off? Ive been told to contact the LEA the college have a 9 month review record for me from my initial teaching year along with ten years worth of observations and pdrs. I thought this was evidence signed for my induction year. It's hard to work out what went wrong and who's responsibility it was to sort this. I bet there are so many teachers who have not been signed off for their first year induction due to negligence/ misunderstanding of process on the part of their school or college. If it's preventing you from gaining further employment in your career surely someone must be made accountable for not registering the evidence. Very frustrated

agathamorse likes this.
  7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you carried on being employed by the same school after your Induction year, the payroll record should be proof enough that you must have completed Induction successfully. Had you failed Induction, the school would not have been able to carry on employing you if it was in the age 5-16 State sector.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. welshwizard

I do understand the frustration but in all honesty you should have checked your registration on the online system. If you are still employed in the same LA you served induction with then go back to them. They have dispensation to recognise induction where there has been an administrative error especially where there is proof of your teaching through performance management. The responsibility has been ducked by the NCTL and TRA who are responsible for teacher registration who could contact teachers who have not completed induction to make them aware of the problem. You should also seek support from your Union.

9. kezwickdoo

kezwickdoo New commenter

When you are an NQT and appointed a mentor and given numerous observation records and reviews and finally a record of the 9 months probationary period. You kinda expect someone to have signed off on your NQT year! I have signed off on peoples final observation reports for university myself since! I am sure I would have checked online had I not received my QTS certificate through the post which I assumed meant I had QTS. I feel as a teacher I have been misled by the management at my previous college to believe I was being trained and signed off as an NQT. I have contacted the LA who have sent me in full circle as they don't seem to know who is in charge of signing off on these things.

10. liamG

liamG New commenter

Hi, this has just happened to me today. I qualified QTS in 2004. Did my NQT year in 2005. Assumed it all went through. Got QTS certificate. Went about teaching. 4 schools, HOD for going on 8 years. Just arrive at a new school today and told my induction reads not completed. Called school and they say archive gone as ten years old. LA looking through archive but am sure it will say the same. There was never any mention of any issue I actually went back to work at the school till the October half term. The school have SIMS data showing I left in the August, NCTL says I did just two terms. My mentor at school sent an email saying she is "99% sure I passed there but no documents to prove it" What do I do? My new school is not impressed. I am in shock!!

11. liamG

liamG New commenter

Hi did you read my post on this?

12. welshwizard

The process with all of these issues is to formally complain to the Appropriate body- don't do it by telephone always in writing so there is a record- contact the Teacher Registration Agency for a record of who is the named contact- all AB's must have one. They are the only ones who can do anything about this. AB's have dispensation to award an induction when it is clearly a situation where the data has been lost or records are incomplete. Use your Union or take legal advice to add pressure on the AB.
    In situations where a school has not registered an induction with an AB then there is nothing that can be done apart from seeking redress from the offending school if the induction was part of the contract of employment..

13. Valerie1125

I recently asked for the help of my Union, and it hasn't got me anywhere despite having heaps of paperwork proving I passed successfully. Somebody forgot to register me and that is all that matters.
    People don't care or don't understand (some believe I actually failed my induction back in 2002 ( I didn't); then because the standard have changed, I have to do it again, some say I might be able to do a reduced induction period but only if the AB of the school agrees. To make matters worse, there isn't a lot of work for MFL where I live at the moment (very fractional, temporary....).
    This is affecting my pay and my pension....

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

HAVE YOU GOT LEGAL COVER ON YOUR HOME INSURANCE?
    If so, and if it covers workplace issues too, I'd be looking at suing whichever school/LA failed to register your Induction.

15. welshwizard

This is affecting my pay and my pension....[/QUOTE]

If you can show this as a fact then take you case to a no win no fee legal service!
    Stop paying union fees and use their complaints service to register your dissatisfaction.
    If it is a genuine error of omission then complain again to the TRA and copy in the AB- but make sure you have the paper trail and you are clear about what you want the AB to do. The relevant section of the Statutory Guidance is 3.12 &3.13
    Persistence does pay off..