1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Induction/NQT year not recorded after 13 years. Has this happened to you?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Valerie1125, Jan 28, 2016.

  1. Valerie1125

    Valerie1125 New commenter

    Dear All,

    this is my first time posting, but I really need some advice here.

    I'm going to try to keep this short: I did a PGCE Secondary in MFL in 2001-2002. I got my first job at a Further Education College, and I did my NQT year there. I still have a copy of my Career Entry Profile. I worked at that college until 2008 when I was made redundant. I was pregnant at the time, but I was happy to take a career break. I was a full-time parent for 7 years. When I decided to go back to work, I registered with an agency and this is when I was told that my NQT induction year had never been recorded or lost and that technically I didn't have Qualified Teacher Status (the computer says no, even though I have the paperwork to prove otherwise). I'm at my wits' end: I contacted the NCTL and my former employer (they archived my file since they made me redundant in 2008) but I'm not getting anywhere. The NCTL have suggested applying for Induction Exemption, but I'm not sure how to go about it...

    Has anybody been in this situation and how did you resolve it? This has come as quite a shock after 13 years and is causing me a lot of stress ( I was supposed to do supply teaching in a secondary school today but they turned me down when the agency told them I didn't have QTS).

    Any suggestions?
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    Actually you do have QTS, but you don't seem to have passed the induction year.

    Ask the NCTL how to apply for the exemption, since they suggested it.

    And I'm going to ask a few friends to come and look at this.

    @John_in_Luton @welshwizard .

    Best wishes

  3. Valerie1125

    Valerie1125 New commenter

    Thank you @TheoGriff , if that's the case, nobody's ever told me I failed it...

    Best wishes
  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    No, no, I didn't say that you had failed it!

    But if they did not register you for the induction year, or did not record you as having passed it, then you officially have not passed it. Which is what you say.

    But you still have QTS, just not done induction year and passed it, apparently.

    If there is no record of your induction having been registered etc., then you could do it now. Which you couldn't if you had failed it.

    You may not do supply work, unless it is long-term and counts towards induction, but there is nothing to stop you getting an induction post. So don't panic that you are cut out from teaching for ever.

    I got QTS ages ago, but have never done my induction year. Can I still apply for jobs as a NQT?

    The exemption may be the faster way out, but tomorrow we may hear from John or WW, who know more about these tricky areas. And I would certainly nag the NC to give you more information about what could be done.

    Best wishes


    Valerie1125 likes this.
  5. Valerie1125

    Valerie1125 New commenter

    Thank you for your help @TheoGriff . I have just spoken to my LEA and the NCTL; they reckon going for exemption due to loss of data is my best option.

  6. Valerie1125

    Valerie1125 New commenter

    Which brings me to my next question: how do you apply for Induction Exemption due to loss of data?
    I'm getting conflicting information from the LEA and from the NCTL. I did my induction year in a FE college, the LEA says they do not look after FE colleges, the NCTL says they do.
    Also, this college does not have my file any more as I was made redundant in 2008 and they destroyed it after 6 years.(but I still have some paperwork such as a copy of my Career Entry Profile).

    Thanks for reading!

  7. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    I reckon that the LEA gave up colleges after the Further and Higher Education Act of 1992 and the resultant College Incorporation the following year.

    So the NCLT is incorrect. Tell'en, give my reference to the Act above.

    Best wishes

  8. John_in_Luton

    John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

    It is possible to complete induction in an FE setting, if the college agrees this in advance with the Appropriate Body (which at that time would have been a Local Authority, though today it could also be a Teaching School).
    It's down to the Appropriate Body as to whether they'd accept the registration, though, as they are not obliged to accept a registration from a non-maintained setting.
    Equally, the AB has the option of awarding exemption on the grounds of loss of data.
    So, in this case it sounds as if the LA's is the door that needs knocking on.

    In terms of QTS, was it the agency that told you you didn't have it because you hadn't completed induction? Because if so, that's just typical agency ignorance. If, however, your QTS is not recorded on the NCTL's database, then you do need to get that sorted, probably via the university where you trained as it suggests an admin error on their part.
  9. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    This is a very difficult case!
    If you have any NQT assessment paperwork- there should have been 3 terms worth of assessment reports from the FE college this may help. Your career entry profile was issued by ITT provider and is only the first part of an induction
    Is the LA you are currently in the same as the LA for the FE college?
    If it is a different LA and you are in a school then that LA can claim your induction on the basis of lost records.
    However if you are looking for work then you need to secure a post first and this would have to be an induction position you can then discuss recognition or fast tracking in order to complete the induction period.
    Unfortunately as you are recorded as requiring induction you cannot be employed for temporary supply work as this is limited to 5 years from QTS so the only post in a maintained school is an induction one. The regulations do not apply to Free schools, Academies or Independents.
  10. leonardo59

    leonardo59 New commenter

    I am going to make a belated comment on this, possibly it has not been resolved yet for the OP.
    The year 1992 saw the changes in newly qualified teachers re; end of Probationary Teachers.
    The timetable for coordinated new induction for NQTs in secondary schools was....less than perfect.
    Some of us slipped through the net, gaining full QTS with 'exempt' status, on successful completion of a PGCE. Our classroom time was considerably extended, something more recent NQTs and Heads need to be aware of. I spent more time teaching in schools on my PGCE than any NQT I have observed has spent in front of a class in a school.
    Try explaining that situation to a Head at interview, who has accessed the records online and wants to know where you did your 'induction year'! Like myself and many others, you may have done the equivalent but there was no framework at the time for it to be 'recorded' as such.
    It was simply not possible for it to be entered, even if such a year took place.

    You need to read through the 1992 Act guidance notes on wiki for 'induction' and follow the link.

    I am currently preparing myself for interview, checking the latest on this situation and that is how I found this thread.
    Basically, if you have survived this long, and still teaching, then you must be doing something right.
    Be aware that many LEA schools are now asking for your original O Level English and Maths certificates. Even for support roles such as a technician.
  11. se7en

    se7en New commenter

    Please Help!! Absolutely panicking. I completed my induction in Dec 2009 and the paperwork was sent in 2010. I have since registered with an agency (although still at the same school currently) and been told I have not done my induction year (info from NCTL)- which I did. I am so worried that I will lose my job and can't apply for another one as the paperwork has been lost and the LA say they never received anything! The HT has now retired but he told me he sent it off. Unfortunately I have no copies of anything as I threw them away when moving house not thinking I would need them again! A couple of years after my induction I became a TRL senior leader. This is really terrible and would like your advise on what to do. Please help!
  12. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    You need to contact the NCTL to ask their opinion and to record the problem - they are likely to refer you to the Appropriate Body- the Payroll records should confirm your working record and the LA have dispensation to approve an induction where there has been a paperwork error . The Head can write a letter confirming that you did pass induction. Make contact with the named person for induction at the LA concerned.
  13. dancinginthecity

    dancinginthecity New commenter

    Hi se7en, did you get this sorted out? I am in a similar situation. I completed my NQT year successfully in 2006 (in a LA primary school) and have worked as a teacher ever since. However I recently joined a supply agency and have been told that they can not offer me teaching work because NCTL records say I have not completed my induction year. NCTL say they need official confirmation from LA and LA say they do not keep records. The school I did NQT year at closed down in 2007. I am now very worried that I will not get another teaching job because of this.
  14. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    There will at least be a payroll record or some confirmation that you have worked in the school so that is your starting point look through your old paperwork to see if you have anything. Try the Appropriate Body for the school you are currently in to see if they can fast track an induction if all else fails!
  15. dancinginthecity

    dancinginthecity New commenter

    Update - good news for me. I found a letter from LA congratulating me on successfully completing induction. I sent a copy to LA HR and they accepted that together with my employment record (historic payroll) over the following 8 years with them as sufficient evidence for them to update the NCTL database. Phew.
    BYusuf likes this.
  16. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Great to hear and well done!
  17. donnakebab

    donnakebab New commenter

    Hi there, the same has just happened to me. New checks made for Ofsted now show your NQT status. Mine came back as failure to complete/required to do much to my utter horror. 12 years ago I did my NQT but NCTL records were never updated by the LEA. I have the paperwork and NQT certificate from my LEA but now there is no LEA. I think there will be many more people in this situation. It's awful as I was just told I would be deemed unqualified if the NQT Status is not sorted out!!
  18. Hi there, the same kind of thing has happened to me and I need some help.

    So I started at the school in October 2014 as an NQT and my NQT was complete by October 2015.

    I was told all paperwork for the last assessment was sent and that was that. I went travelling, for married and naturally wanted to go back to work. I log on to NCTL to see that TERM 3 assessment was still pending, this was in July. I have been trying to communicate with the school but apparently they have lost all paperwork due to the school changing to a different academy.

    I have my final assessment completed by my tutor but not yet complete. The tutor is still at the school but refuses to email back. I have been back and fro between LA, NCTL and the school with no real resolution. Is there anything I can do?
  19. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    You need to speak with the named person for the appropriate body and lodge a formal complaint by email.
    if you have the final assessment form then scan and email it to them and also copy in the NCTL. it sounds like the school for some reason has not agreed to sign off your final assessment. There is sometimes administrative issues with this when they are using online programmes like NQT manager.
    Regardless you need a proper response to your enquiry and most LA's have a requirement to respond within 48 hours to enquiries- if not use the complaints procedures.
  20. jenibluett

    jenibluett New commenter

    Hi, I am in the same situation. I completed my NQT induction year in 2008-2009. I’m not at that school anymore and it has now been demolished and moved to a new site. But our school have a new admin lady, who has discovered that apparently I have not been registered as completing my NQT year??? She said I need to sort it out, but I have no clue how to go about this. It’s been 10 years and I have no file as I have thrown it out ages ago. I have contacted my old mentor and headteacher. They have both written letters attesting that I did in fact complete and pass my induction year. But my question is, what do I do now? Who do I contact to get this resolved? And get my number sorted?? Any help would be amazing as I’m so worried about my job now. Just want it resolved ASAP. Thanks

Share This Page