1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction - Is there any way this can count

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Tea-and-pyjamas, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hi
    I started a long term supply post last Monday at a lovely school and am told that I will be there until the end of July. I have previously worked in another school for a term and as this was a PPA cover, was never counted towards my induction.
    Is there any way that this post can count towards induction. It is a week short of a term. Is a 'term' classed in terms of days or just from the beginning to the end of each term.
    I know really I need to get the head to speak to the LEA but I wanted to see if there was any hope.
    Thanks

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If it is known from the start of the employment that you are to be employed there for a term's length, the post has to be part of Induction if you are to plan and assess a regular timetable.
    An Induction term generally correlates with a school term for most contracted teachers but it doesn't have to.
    An Induction term can start at any point in one school term if you are intended to still be in post at the same point in the next school term (based on a 3 term school year)>
    When you started last Monday, was it the first day of the summer term? If it was, and you will be teaching the entire term, you should be registered with the LA as an NQT on Induction a.s.a.p and should get a 10% reduced timetable.
    If the post is full-time, you will complete an term of Induction. If it is p/t, you will not manage to complete a term of Induction if the post ceases in July. You should still be registered on Induction (because of the one term of employment rule) and then if the work is extended it might be possible for the service to count if you are there long enough to have worked the equivalent of a f/t term.

3. Thanks. I am full time but I am covering for sickness and started a week into the term, so effectively I missed 5 day of the summer term.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The Appropriate Body does have dispensation to reduce an induction period but this is at the end of an induction year. Posts of less than a term do not count towards induction.

5. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

From what I can gather from the Dept of Education formal response to the consultation paper, when the new regulations are presented to parliament. it may or truth be known, more likely to include a rule that says that HT's may have the ability to take into account previous experience of teaching and so potentially reduce the induction period to just 1 term for those with the appropiate experience. However until the regulations are formally presented to parliament, we will not be 100% sure of the Dept of Education final decisons..

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

true but that still would not help the OP as they did not start working at the start of the summer term and so will not manage a term's worth of teaching by the time the position ends in July.
    Unless the school have been informed that the absent teacher will still be on sick leave a week into the Autumn term in September, they cannot make this placement compliant with Induction registration.