1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction at new school - anyone know usual practice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Jun 7, 2011.

1. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

They are wrong - the new school are the ones benefitting from your visit and they should pay. I do have prior experience - my head only agreed to it because the school I was joining agreed to pay for the supply cover.
    Sorry you are getting caught up in such a nightmare and hope it can be resolved so you can visit the new school without being out of pocket.

2. I think its unreasonable for the new school to expect you to forgo a day's salary (and pension payment!) in order to visit the school, if they are expecting you to do it, I wonder what other unreasonble demands they will make later. Explain the situation and if they really think its vital for you to come in this term hey will cough up, otherwise I'm sure you can catch up with things at the start of the new term.

3. PoodleKing

PoodleKing New commenter

Last time I moved school I was refused the opportunity to go on my new school's induction day. I understood the reasons and didn't worry about it. About 2 weeks before the end of term I was instructed to run a session (in my non contacts) explaining our data systems to the new members of staff joining us on our induction day.....

And people wonder sometimes why they SLT are so disliked...

4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

As this thread has resurfaced from a long sleep... does anybody else share my view that new staff induction should be at the start of their employment and not before it?

5. PoodleKing

PoodleKing New commenter

Depends. Ideally, it will be before so everyone can hit the ground running but there is some logic to having it when employment starts.....