1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction at new school - anyone know usual practice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I've been invited to an induction day at the school I'll be teaching in come September. It involves a full day at the school.
    My current school are being a bit unhelpful, telling me that I have to take the day unpaid unless the new school pays for my supply cover.
    I'm wondering what usual practice is? My new school seems to think the old school should foot the bill, but the school bursar at my current place is being extremely rude about it (she's a bit of a nightmare in general and not pleasant to deal with).
    I don't mind what the rule is and who pays, but I'm being put rather in the middle and am having to email back and forth between the two schools. When I asked 'my' school bursar to contact the new school directly to work it out, she went mental.
    Help?

2. Eva_Smith

I've been invited to an induction day at the school I'll be teaching in come September. It involves a full day at the school.
    My current school are being a bit unhelpful, telling me that I have to take the day unpaid unless the new school pays for my supply cover.
    I'm wondering what usual practice is? My new school seems to think the old school should foot the bill, but the school bursar at my current place is being extremely rude about it (she's a bit of a nightmare in general and not pleasant to deal with).
    I don't mind what the rule is and who pays, but I'm being put rather in the middle and am having to email back and forth between the two schools. When I asked 'my' school bursar to contact the new school directly to work it out, she went mental.
    Help?

3. Tough one and very sad that you have been put in the middle of this.
    My thoughts would be that you contact your new school saying that you are hapy to come in regardless of the payment situation - this is good-will which may benefit you later.
    Then I might contact the HR department at the local authority. They might well have some advice for you or, if the school is within the same authority they might manage it for you.
    In the end, you are moving on and the relationship you build with your new school is vital. Don't allow this to divert your attentions from that.
    Actually, when you say your current school are being unhelpful, does that mean that this came from the head?

K

4. Eva_Smith

Yes, it comes from the Head.

I can't afford to take a day's unpaid leave to go to my new school for the day. I've got bills to pay and a holiday I'm saving for, to lose the £100+ for the day would put a severe dent in my expendable income at the end of the month.
    The school is not in the same LA, so that doesn't help unfortunately.

5. bnm

bnm

In my expereince the custom is for the new school to pay as they will be benefitting.

6. I never realised they could make you have the day off as unpaid!! Perhaps I should look into this. I'm going to a new school induction - had to get the deputy to sign a cover slip for me, but that was all. Though now I think of it I haven't had my cover confirmed :S This is the first time I will have moved and never thought about the financial implication, I thought they just automatically let you go!!
    Interesting post Eva...sorry I can't help you, but I will also be interested in the answers

7. I had the same problem two years ago - the school I was in refused to let me have the day off so in the end I rang in sick - the first time I have ever faked sickness but they had p*ssed me off so much! My HoD found out as another member of the faculty dropped me in it but he didn't tell SLT so I got away with it.
    I did ring my union as I thought all schools had to let you have a day off to be inducted into your new school but apparently they don't - it's just a gentleman's agreement and many heads are unfortunately not gentlemen (or ladies).
    Sorry to be not be more helpful. If you can't afford to take the day as unpaid or it's implausible to ring in sick - I'm presuming you've already said the day you need off - then I would speak to your new school. There was little I found out that day that I couldn't have found out in September, or even by going in after school, and I'm sure they would have been understanding had I contacted them and explained the situation.

8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

In that case you're very lucky not to have ended up on disciplinary procedures: what you did was fraud, and it sounds as though your HOD colluded in that.

Hope you get it sorted Eva, and good luck in your new post.

9. This is very poor show from all concerned!
    You may need to take this back to your new school then to explain the situation. In the end, another poster is correct in that the induction day cannot be compulsory and I am sure you can show willing in another way.
    I hope that it all goes well and is sorted out - this must be the last thing you want to be concerned about.
    Good luck
    K

10. Eva_Smith

Thanks for the responses. You're right KEM, it's the last thing I need right now. It feels like these past few months have just been one thing after another. There's only so much one person can take and the straw is about the break the camel's back I fear!

11. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

For what it's worth from a Head's point of view...

We have two new memebrs of staff starting with us in Spetemebr; I have contacted the schools they are currently employed at myself to arrange some induction days and to offer to pay any costs incurred through the staff attending.

One of the new staff is going to attend two training days with thier soon to be year group partner and be in school when we have class swaps. This has all been very amicably arranged with the school they are leaving.

The school of the other new member of staff have not got back to me yet to confirm if the teacher can be released. Its not just the money that needs to be considered, but also the disruption to the school they are leaving

I have one memebr of staff leaving for a school some miles away. When they got the new job told that member of staff they could have a day to visit without any problems (in fact it was my suggestion). I never thought of asking the other school to pay! Obviously missed a trick there! However, the leaving member of staff has arranged to visit on a day that is their PPA time, so I only have the half day to cover. Pretty decent of them I thought. Maybe this is a suggestion you could make to your present school.

Also, if you do end up taking a day of unpaid, its 1/365th of your salary you lose and not 1/195th

12. Eva_Smith

This isn't really an option for me because I work in Secondary and don't have a block of PPA together. At the most, I get an hour.
    My new school has invited me along on a day that they are intending to have all of their new staff, so we can all have induction together. After a turbulent few months to say the least it would be great to meet a few people and settle myself and some of my new job anxiety.
    That said, I totally appreciate that my current school would expect my new school to pay. I just don't want to be stuck in the middle of my school bursar and the new school arguing about who pays!

p.s. Thank goodness for the edit function!

13. Eva do you have some gained time at the moment that you could use .... ? x

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We usually make them clean the fridge and the microwave in the staffroom then flush their heads down the toilet.

15. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I thnik the bset thnig to do tehn is to say to yuor new scoohl taht you cant attned and get them to srot it out wtih yuor presnt school.

PS edit button, what edit button? Why would I need that

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

The reality eva is do you want to teach at the new school and also what do you get for the induction.
    As far as I am aware no school has to pay you for going to another chool unless its an arranged course.
    The choice in the end is go and suffer finaicially or not go and risk losing some goodwill and items of interest.( assuming they are, as most inductions are basically going through the systems and procedures such as planning and assesment etc,)They also ge to assess you as a person and you get to learn of new teachers.
    You might ask your new school what is involved and whether such an event can be missed ( while stressing your diffiuctly with finance,travel arrangements etc etc) they might understand and forgive you not attending.they might be able to give you all that information in pack( most teacher packs are usually rubbish).
    Your old school is willing to release you, but it has to cover your work either with a supply or with some one else.Usually they can get a TA if the work is set ot for them, although if its not your class TA other teachers usualy moan you have deprived them of theirs.Such absences as yours is the things school have to cover for as they are last minute.....yet it does, on the other hand, seems a little daft as if you were sick they would still have to cover you with someone.
    there is no really answer as the new school is expectin gyour present one to 'allow' you to come paid....most schools used to if you going for interview...yet you are costing your old school money and inconvience for the benifit of another.

17. I was invited to an induction day and the new school made some sort of payment to my then present school- The new Head had about 10 new staff and had very strong policies and approaches that we really did need to know about. I would have been at a real disadvantage if I hadn't gone. As it was in a different authority, I actually had some time after I had broken up to go into my new school. I ended up teaching as the DH needed some time to so something or other, and I was told I would be paid, but it never happened. Actually, thinking about it, the school I had just left did the same- I had gone in to have a chat with the teacher who was leaving, but she was ill, so I ended up teaching there too.

18. Now, if I were still teaching, you sound like the kind of boss I would like [​IMG]

19. btw, Eva, if the worst comes to the worst - try to take the day unpaid (I really feel within education you should not have to). I know it sounds like a lot of money, but it is a one-off.
    Normally, the new place should pay for the day.

20. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Interesting that starting a new post the new head teacher wanted me to attend 4 half day sessions (new school, reorganisation etc.) I agreed to 2 afternoons as current head teacher always operated the friendly agreement of one day out at new school just like if I'd gone on a course for the day. Interesting that when I was moving on from the new school a couple of years later the same head who wanted me out for 4 afternoons would only let me have the day off if my new new school would agree to pay cover costs and the bursar wanted the payment before I went!