1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Induction and recent government proposals

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Kartoshka, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I hold QTS, have started but not completed induction, and am currently working abroad. Should I think about completing induction before the government introduces any changes to QTS? I don't want to get stuck in some sort of limbo where induction no longer exists, but I end up being considered less than fully qualified because I didn't complete it when it did exist. I know no-one will have the answer to this question, but perhaps someone has a better idea than me of what might lie ahead... anyone?

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Induction doesn't make you more qualified.
    QTS is Qualified Teacger Status.
    Induction is simply a (very subjective) way for schools to decide that a qualified teacher is meeting all the teaching standards by the end of 3 term-long periods of teaching.
    That vetting in the workplace will still have to take place but there will be no need to give teacher accreditation to those who already have QTS.
    You might want to complete Induction in Wales or Scotland!

3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

My understanding is that the induction year will be irrelevant soon anyway. NQTs only have to complete official induction in an LEA school, not in free schools, academies or independents. With full academisation of schools NQT induction won't apply, although I'm sure each academy will introduce some method of overseeing NQTs.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Thank you for the replies. Those were my thoughts too, but I wondered if I might have missed a trick somewhere.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There is a complete lack of information about the detail of the changes and anyway many of the proposals will require legislation to enact. This will take considerable time and Parliamentary process .For present statutory induction is still in place in its current form i.e. 3 terms.
    With regard to the comment that induction is not needed outside of maintained schools that is correct- however in my experience all the local academies and many of the independent sector do buy into the induction process as a means of ensuring the quality of new teachers.