1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Indonesia! What are the 'must take' items?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bulegila, Sep 11, 2012.

1. bulegila

bulegila New commenter

Thing like holepunches, a4 lined paper are available in Indonesia. Same for fresh milk you can get it at most large supermarkets. The best milk is the greenfield brand if not then indomilk but it doesn't taste as nice and goes off quicker. Not sure about English tea as I'm not a tea drinker. One thing I haven't been able to find in Jakarta (found no problem in Medan) is marmite which I bring a stock of. Another is oxo cubes. If you are in a smaller city it's hard to find non sweet bread so if you use a bread maker you could bring some bread mix if you wanted. Think you are female from your nic so I'll add tampons are expensive here and not always easy to find in smaller cities. To be honest you can find most things you need in a reasonable sized city in Indonesia.

2. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

What a strange thing to take to the world's 4th biggest beer market.

Marmite, I guess.

3. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Decent Cadbury's chocolate (both bars and powdered for drinking) ; they have a shocking substitute product here.
    A Kindle; hard to get decent novels.
    Good quality adaptors (better quality available back home.
    Once here you should consider buying: an automatic moped (about a grand new), a dvd player for playing all the pirated DVDs you can buy for 50p and a wi-fi modem/router combo (about 30 quid, but be prepared as the internet speeds are not fast and unreliable).

4. happygreenfrog

You know, i never quite understand people using alternatives for swear words (outside the classroom). If the swear word is approriate or necessary then use it, because the joke/comment is unlikely to be effective without it.
    Cheers. Now i'll f%$k off back to my class.

5. The croc always takes a packet of condoms. Handy for balloon activities. Play it safe.

6. Mr_Wolf

Mr_Wolf New commenter

George foreman grill and any specific western branded beauty/hair products.... I forgot to pack my favourite hair styling stuff in my case and I can't get it for love or money here. If you aren't attached to a particular product, you'll be fine.

7. happygreenfrog

Ah, fair point.
    I did feel rather guilty a short while ago when i shouted 'F$£K' as my daughter once again kicked my butt at XBox360 grand prix racing as she edged me off the track on the last bend. [​IMG]