1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Individualised/personalised etc

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by bobboots, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Here's the easiest ways to achieve independent learning:
    1) Work in silence (independently)
    2) If you get stuck use the index or google to look up the topic and independently learn how to do it.

Here's the easiest way to achieve personalised/idividualised learning:
    "Any mistakes you made before question 15 need correcting before you move on to ..." (Each student then has to do tasks directed at their misconceptions)

2. IMO:

Individualised learning = learning designed for an individual (as opposed to class or group) as in John needs to learn to add two digit numbers.

Personalised learning = learning that is planned for a class but then given a personal twist or maybe gives children the chance to do it their own way. E.g. choose two two digit numbers and add them together or we're all doing addition but John will be working with simpler questions or given more structure and Henry will be trying to do it with three digits.
    Independent learning is where children get on with it on their own rather than in groups "I want to see what you know so this isn't group/paired work and I don't want you to help each other"
    I would see the opposite of Independent learning being whole class work (e.g. discussion/board work), group work and paired work.
    Individualised is about planning, personalisation is about differentiation and independent is about how they'll do it.