1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Individual activities for children with PMLD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Tinks6, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Hello,
    I am in my first year of teaching at a PMLD school
    with children aged 4-6. They are on levels P1-P3. I am struggling to
    think of ideas for each child's individual work in literacy and
    numeracy sessions. Can anyone give me a few ideas of what kind of
    activities to set?
    Any ideas would be of great help!
    Thanks

2. Hello,
    I am in my first year of teaching at a PMLD school
    with children aged 4-6. They are on levels P1-P3. I am struggling to
    think of ideas for each child's individual work in literacy and
    numeracy sessions. Can anyone give me a few ideas of what kind of
    activities to set?
    Any ideas would be of great help!
    Thanks

3. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

Hi

I am relatively new to teaching PMLD but I'll give you my few pearls of wisdom. At P1-P3 your lessons need to be really sensory and hands on.
    How I plan (and this is by no means the way to do it - just what has worked for me) is I pick a topic, so since we began back we have been doing sealife, and then plan my numeracy and literacy around this. This means that although throughout the year my learning objectives are similar the individual's activities can be changed to fit the topic which breaks up the repetitiveness.
    So in my sealife topic the PMLD children have been
    • using their hands to find different plastic sea creatures in different materials - water, seaweed(spinach) and sand,
    • They have been looking at water capacity in numeracy (pouring, filling, letting the water run through their hands ect),
    • using the prior wood switch games (there is a Finding Nemo one),
    • making shiny rainbow fish pictures and exploring the different textures of the materials,
    • exploring fishy themed sensory toys and making a choice between them.
    I found a sensory storytelling resource on here and got loads of inspiration from it. When I find the link I'll post it.
    I hope I've been of some help I feel like I have waffled a little bit. I'm sure others with more experience will give you their advice too.

4. It doesn't sound waffly at all! These are some brill ideas n some that I had thought of-which means I'm on sort of the right track! Thank you! I think it's just getting to know the children more!
    So each week in a certain day do you do more or less the same activity,so the child can anticipate what is going to happen and what they have to do?

Thanks for your help so far!

5. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

6. That link is brill thanks! I'm really enjoying teaching so far!
    Thank you for you for your help!
    Xx

7. Hey there simple, repeated, predictable sensory activities that focus on communication, choice, anticipating and therapy targets. Check out buzzys site www.alljoinin.net

8. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

I'm in a slightly different position to most people because I class share so my focus in literacy is reading and I only teach two days a week. My children have a couple of individual termly targets at the most 4 targets. I rotate which target we are working on in each lesson. So we are repeating the target/activity at least once a fortnight. The children need this repeatition going over the same few targets many times and making tiny steps forward. This is why I use a theme to stop myself going mad with the same things over and over. Naturally if a child is achieving a target again and again I will review their targets and revise them as necessary.
    I think you are absolutly right though when I tried to plan in the summer hols without meeting the children I got so frustrated but now after getting to know them over the past 3 weeks I feel a lot more confident.
    Be as creative as possible and my mentor keeps telling me be as hands on as possible with lots of resources.

9. Thanks for all your ideas and web links! Have just done my weekly plans for next week and will be using some of your ideas!

Xx

10. What an amazing resource, I have been looking at it for nearly 3 hours now :). Thank you for highlighting it. I am an NQT and have an interview at a PMLD school next week, I'm really excited about what lesson / activity to try. I have not yet been advised what the school wants but at least I know the choices are endless. [​IMG]