1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Indie Prep School Job....would you?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Rowntreegirl, Apr 28, 2012.

1. I took a job in a prep school once (i'm secondary). To be honest i was bored stiff and missed the stimulation and challenge of gcse and a level classes. I also found it weird how they cared more about how many 'matches' you supervised than how much academic progress your classes made. I felt like a childminder for the wealthy and left after 1 year. I did struggle a little to get back into state - they are generally quite suspicious and suspect you might not be able to hack it. I would be very careful not to stay too long as without exam class experience it would be v hard to get back into the state sector. Oh and you'd probably have to work saturdays, longer contact hours during the week, and get paid less with no career progression. I would advise 'don't do it' but i'm sure plenty of people will say the easy life of a prep school is a dream!

2. rdigsworth

rdigsworth New commenter

Having spent 2 years in a very small Prep school,I should tell you that you probably will face...

- a lack of progression - there is very little way up in a Prep school
    - Saturdays, which are harder than you think, and really narrow your weekend. By the time you get home, cleaned, done the washing, bought the food shopping, its 6-7pm and you think where has half of my weekend gone?
    - Sport? Most prep school teachers often teach 'games' 3, 4, maybe 5 times per week (including Saturday,and occasionally Sunday afternoons). For no extra pay. It can be a real drag (or a liberation, depends on your pupils), going outside for an hour after 6-7 lessons.
    - I find form 5/6/7 very frustrating sometimes, especially after teaching A Level/6th form. Dealing with pupils who will behave very well, but won't listen to the most basic of instructions - e.g. still writing the title when everyone else is half way through their lesson.
    - Doing a wide range of jobs, cover, duties. I get out of the door at 7pm at least twice a week.

All prep schools are different. Ours is particularly small, and victims of parent power, and have a lot of pupils who take advantage of a lack of discipline from the top. However, these are just some things to be aware of!