1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Indian Summer School - it makes UK students look like total ******

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Apr 10, 2018.

1. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

One of them was educated at a school I have been to on supply (he might have been one of the students Whose lessons I covered). Unfortunately he was only one of many who had the same attitude to learning.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Let's remember this is the very top private, selective, elite school in India.
    Given the unimaginable atrocities that are also in the news from India, it seems there are plenty of teenage boys in India who would make those English lads look like perfect angels.

InkyP and emerald52 like this.
  3. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Aw they all failed in the end. Quite upsetting for Jack really. Think he just needs more time.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Well...probably not the boys at Doon. I thought they were all great, what the cameras showed us. The young Indian lad they interviewed was about twice as articulate as his English peers. And he’s billungual, maybe trilingual! One of them said that they worked and played hard so they had an edge over the millions of others in their varied and, yes, unequal country. But they know this and are earning their entitlement. A lot of privately educated English kids are spoon shaped, they’re so coddled.

5. Mrsmumbles

That is really sad. Jack should have been ok.

FormosaRed likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

And if you found the some boys from the least educationally inclined in India and put them with the most academically educated in England you'd see a similar difference, even when accounting for language.
    And this is true for the vast majority of privately educated boys in this country as well.
    And there was nothing at all to suggest this isn't true in India as well. We saw maybe half a dozen or so interviewed. England's top schools could easily find you similarly amazing children.

For any pair of countries, if you take those who place the least value on education from one country and put them with those who place the most value on education in another, you'd see the same difference. Let's not be DM type idiots and extrapolate this programme, who have interviewed/show about a dozen or so boys, to be representative of the entire attitude of boys in either country.

emerald52 and FrankWolley like this.
  7. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

The Telegraph and Guardian reviews of the program are not positive. Basically they portray the program as not much different from selling tickets to let people laugh at the inmates at Bedlam.

JL48 and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

No, not really. Some, but not the majority, where is your evidence?

Yes, but something tells me that the Indian kids would grab the opportunities with both hands and try their best, not witter on about their defecation habits to their host headmaster. In his study. I don’t know enough about the Indian class system to comment, but I know that the bulk of Indian kids I teach, all from poor backgrounds, value it highly.

Yes it was a small sample. But it was interesting. Some of the boys’ attitudes and defeatism were sobering. Hopefully they will do an Indians coming to Eton partner show. We shall see.

minka1 likes this.
  9. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I was very disappointed by the parents of some the boys, how easily they caved in to their boys assertions that they could not learn.
    Well I hope the parents get used to the idea that they will probably be supporting these young men well into adulthood.

11. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

And in the end, they still didn't achieve any GCSE passes. Clearly it takes more than a six month social experiment to put right the problems going back years. I felt gutted for Ethan and Jack in particular. I've been thinking about the programme all day and it worries me. These boys are not rare individuals and I am concerned that with these new GCSEs, 1-9, we can probably expect more young males to finish year 11 with the crippling prospect of no work, no further education and no ambition for the future. That really does worry me.

12. drek

drek Lead commenter

Over dependency on the welfare state and successive governments pinning election wins solely on the whims of welfare dependent parents.......

With parents like these many of our middle set students are giving up......

At our school we’ve had quite a few students requesting to move down sets as they seem to think they will get to do more ‘poster’ and ‘fun’ stuff in those groups.
    Since those are the sets which unfortunately have a combination of genuine low ability and higher ability persistent disrupters, that often ends up being the case, particularly as they are also groups which get the most cover, supply or unqualified fixed term staff for obvious reasons.........

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If true (and I retired 5 years ago, so missed recent changes), then it's returning education to the 1960s & before when many/most children left school with no qualifications (as 'O' levels were only for the more able).

Well done, Mr Gove! Not...

FormosaRed and Mrsmumbles like this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

I thank you! It all really happened!

15. Mrsmumbles

And dotage!

16. Mrsmumbles

(Froths, growls, foams at mouth.....) GRRRR!! Yes, I agree.

17. Mrsmumbles

I think we can expect more failures. I coach lads like Ethan and Jack. I spend half the slot counselling and overrun I t’ the blanked off times, they are very needy and underconfident chaps, but need a proper break. I thought that Jack’s parents were great. His Mum seemed nice. Do us proud, do yourself proud...it’s all good stuff. But they live in an impoverished part of the uk and eat, sleep and breathe despair. Anyone who does well in this culture, such as the actor Michael Socha, is a bit of a star in my book. He was so thin, Jack. Awful discrepancy between Hull and Hampstead. We need more industries and jobs in these poorer Northern cities, with real prospects, traineeships and good salaries. I reckon they need something radical to combat this.

Catgirl1964, FormosaRed and emerald52 like this.
  18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Such underachievers have forever been with us in the system.Back in 1978 when iItarted I could heve picked a lot of pupils , from East London,who underachieved and with mulitudal reasons.
    The whole problem was arttitude by the boys,and at the end of 6 months for some of them the attitudes had changed.
    The young man with learning problems I felt for as he had not been picked up in the system,and probabaly ostricised by fellow pupils for failing and bullied for such failure. Jake the lad....thought enjoyment better than study yet had a gift with words in dealing with adult.s...he will survive as 'a jack the lad 'somewhere
    The young one wanting to be a woman would have been a laughing stock in the 70's and my lads then, in the East end, would have given him any amount of grief. yet despite his fears he persevered but one cannot help thinking he was full of his own fears and indecisions.
    On problem I have is the demand in our society that chrildren have to have 'o 'levels.The mix of qualifictions for the jobs they wanted seemed bizzare to say the least....most of the jobs they wanted could have been learnt 'on the job' and basic tests might have sufficed.However we mark those failing to get O levels as bad or untrainable.Stereotyping i stil around.
    I appreciate it was in a Indian school but shows us a world far different from the uK....but I loved the schools overall dicipline and treatment of the boys under thier care.Even if it was private school.My Seconday Modern school in the 60's had this sense of one ness and control,and most of the boys left with no qualifications, but with manners,work aspitations and a sense of being cared for by the brilliant post war teachers we had.They were tough but also fair and caring.
    I can speak for Secondary schools todat as my experience of them is out fo date, but one does get the opinion that schools do not offer such values always.No doubt I will be proven wrong by someone!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  19. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

For good or ill the disruptive behaviour exhibited by the English lads would not have been tolerated from any Indian lads growing up in India. You get underachievers wherever you go but English lads contribute to their own downfall a bit more than the Indian lads.

peter12171 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Have to agree that, although, it’s a TV show and the media distorts reality, the hunger and genuine curiosity for self-betterment was clear in most of the Indian boys and just not in the guinea pig lads. If you’re in a good culture, the slightly wayward, weaker or distractabke kids fall into line to fit in with the aspirational and standard-setting peer group. Sadly, many UK schools, state and private, don’t have these core values. The SLT eejits say they do. They push the MAT Trust mantras, vocalised rhe grand, and repeatedly bleat our their Newspeak Slogans about robust resilience and challenging everyone. But it is contradicted, far too often, by the repellant bullying, pomposity, lanyardism and stupidity of their treatment of the entire school community...staff AND students. Kids smell the BS and respond by not engaging. In India, it isn’t b.s, the ideology is genuine and the school was founded on these innovative principles. Staff and kids are respected, so learning is too and self-improvement is accepted as a viable goal that all can attain. I felt sorry for Ethan. He actually seemed to have half the skills needed for make up and that sort of vocational course which would really open doors for him. That lad needs a good tutor!