1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Indian Summer School - it makes UK students look like total ******

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Apr 10, 2018.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Anyone see Jake get the boot last night? He is exactly the type of student I was teaching a lot of in my last few years and the reason why I gave up full-time teaching. What a little **** and teachers have to put up with that kind of t*** across the UK in many schools. He spent the entire time wasting his time and trying to stop others getting on with their work.

What's interesting about the program is you can see how the fabulous Indian pupils think that the five who have arrived are just about the biggest losers on God's clean Earth, an embarrassment to teenagers.

Mobile phones banned in school there. Crazy stupidity still rules in most UK schools. So much distraction yet schools still sit on their a£££es and make token gestures that SLTs rarely follow up. Phones are killing learning. It's so obvious.

Catgirl1964, dleaf12, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No.

Misuse of phones may be.

3. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

To suggest that it's solely the fault of mobile phones is reductive. The problem is clearly more complex than that, with a wide range of contributing factors. We should ban phones in all schools, but that's not even close to approaching a behavioural panacea.

stonerose, palmtree100 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  4. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

Jake was never going to get along there. He is, sadly, what I might call a lost cause. He was reckless. However, it is clear that a couple of them have visibly benefited from being taken out of their environment and given a fresh start. Jack and Ethan seem to be getting something out of it. It seems to me that Jack's learning needs had never actually been met because it's taken very little help to get him achieving in English. I have really enjoyed the series and I am looking forward to seeing them open their GCSE results on Thursday night. Jake, though: no rules, no boundaries, no respect for anything or anyone. You can't blame that on his mobile phone....

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

No, generally, phones in lessons are a disaster. When our crass deputy brought them into Psycho Heights, the standard of discipline and student attention plummeted.maybe with sixth formers. You or I would achieve much with a nice mini computer in our lessons, but the bulk of them take ‘upskirting’ shots and think it’s wittier than an Oscar Wilde epigram.

Pomza and tonymars like this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

It’s not, but it would severely curtail upskirting pics and inane classroom selfies. Grrrrr.....idiots!

7. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

At least the boys will be able to teach the Indian kids some British Values. :D

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I think India had enough of that sort of thing during the Empire days!

9. FrankWolley

That is misuse of phones, obviously. And in schools like that if pupils weren't misbehaving using their phones they would be misbehaving in other ways.

For most of time (sometimes all lesson, at other times 90% perhaps) the appropriate place for the phone to be will be in a pocket or bag, switched off or on silent. But there will be times when it can be useful.

Creating huge bureaucracies and wasting much time collecting in and handing out 1000+ phones a day (& checking that all have been handed in, and teaching for those that inevitably will be 'lost' or stolen) is actually an admission of failure.

10. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Phones should be effectively banned from school premises - or they can bring them to school but they must stay switched of and in their bag. If someone chooses to break this rule and then gets theirs out of their bag on site, it should be confiscated until the end of the week, when parents should have to collect them. Any arguments should be an immediate suspension for a day. Children have zero self-control using them and it is not teachers' jobs to teach them when it is appropriate to use them - they have enough jobs to do.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've been to India - the poverty is depressing, there are many millions of kids there who will never know what it is to own a mobile phone.

InkyP and drek like this.
  12. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

The bottom line is that in Asian countries education is highly valued by both parents and their children. In England, it is looked on as an unpleasant inconvenience, which one need not bother with, since the mugs who make the effort and then get jobs will pay for the parasites who are on the dole.

drek and Mrsmumbles like this.
  13. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Is life without a mobile phone too inconceivable to think about? Pity the poor English student, who is asked to keep their phone in their bag during lessons - sometimes for up to 50 mins in one stretch!! I'm surprised no student has reported their teacher for breaching their 'Uman Rights.

14. FrankWolley

And in any well run school this should be the rule (unless the teacher specifically allows pupils to use them - as I did when noting down complicated homework instructions from a whiteboard, or copying full whiteboards of material, either for themselves or for absent friends etc.).

slstrong123 and palmtree100 like this.
  15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I hope a toast was proposed for "Absent Friends" at the start of the lesson.:D

16. FrankWolley

Anything their friends could do to help the absent pupils catch up meant less work for me...;)

17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Actually, I think it is, This is one of the reasons where we are going wrong, teaching students when something is appropriate is part of our job in genuinely educating the students rather than just pushing them through an exam.

We did this implement a similar approach, students took to having a spare "crappy" phone on hand to hand over if caught. You have to admire them at times.

BTW Phones can be really useful in lessons in the right circumstances. If anyone was taking selfies or upskirt pics I would say that that was a BM issue and in the latter case a reason for internal or external exclusion.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

Depends how one defines value. You know, I was actually ashamed of my own country, watching that show. Skateboard yobbo kid...he was so annoying, I know it’s not pc, I know it’s not proper safeguarding, I know I’ll go to Hell for saying it....but that boy should have a short hard slap or ten on the wrists when he was younger. His mum let him get away with everything. No boundaries. He is the result. The best bit? The shocked incredulity on his gobby gobface when the lovely Head told him he was off that afternoon. Priceless.

FormosaRed, drek and strawbs like this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Oh and also...did you all notice how much happier, older and more confident those schoolteachers were? Lots of over forties staff there. I found that reassuring. Not a slick suit-booted lanyard man in sight. I liked the Head very much. Wish there were more like him. Polite, firm, gets the job done, listens to everyone and treats even a scumbo like a human being.

galerider123 likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

I think a lot of teachers are so demoralised and exhausted, that, by the time a teacher has been upskirted, they just want out.

drek and palmtree100 like this.