1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Indian -Asian

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ANGELIN2012, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Is there a possibility to get a job
    for an Indian who has all the qualification except that she is not an English native speaker.

2. Can you be more specific? Do you mean in an international school as a teacher, teaching assistant, bursar, administration, ????? If you think about your question I think with a little thought you may answer it yourself without anyone elses opinion.

3. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Our secondary math teacher is Indian and a non-native speaker of English, although he does have a 'western' passport and a 'western' teaching certificate.

4. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Yes of course, and by western if that means UK QTS prob more so, however all my expat colleagues are white and there is a certain racial bias in Asia. By non-native speaker that can mean good to absolutely awful so that matters at interview. Maths is a plus point though - certainly non-native English teachers have a tougher time.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Angelin, I am guessing that your real name is not Angelin/Angelina and that the picture is not of you.
    If the picture is you and your name is Angelin/Agelina I suggest you change both.
    You may find you wish to retain some anonymity after a while on these forums (Fora?)

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

What I write is not going to sound too great but, unfortunately, is the truth of the matter.
    One of the problems with international recruitment is that nationalities matter and in some regions matter a great deal. It is much easier to get a work permit in many countries if one is European or North American. This has nothing to do with ethnicity but nationality.
    There are, naturally, ALWAYS exceptions to the rule but, by and large, it is true.
    The biggest problem you will have is the large numbers of applicants from India applying for jobs. My recent experience ( within the last half decade or so ) has been that most vacancies have at least 20 or 30 applicants from India, if not more. The vast majority of these applicants have no chance of obtaining the position due to lack of qualifications, inexperience or - frankly - being completely unsuitable due to not having any relevant teaching experience and completely ignoring the essential requirements.
    This glut of unsuitable applicants means that when one has a 100+ applicants to sift through, it can be easier to just look at the Western European applicants.
    I know this sounds harsh, but it is the unfortunate reality in many places.

7. Lots of Indian teachers here in HK , mainly maths and science.

8. Karvol

One also has to look at the type of schools.
    When I worked in Dubai, none of the schools that I knew had many Indian national staff.
    However, equally, none of the Indian schools had none-Indian staff.

9. Karvol

My experience has been different, but it could be because I worked for the UAE military and not a private employer.
    Definitely true, but it does not depend upon your colour but on your nationality.