1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

India

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dyritchie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hi, I am away to start a topic on Inida with my P4-7 class as it links in with my P7 transition work. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to tackle this topic with my class as it is going to last right up to the easter holidays. I would also like to tie in some science to this topic also.
    Thanks

2. Not much to say but don't reinforce the stereotype of India we often see in the media. It's got a booming middle class and growing economy. There are still obvious areas of poverty but also impressive cities and a high tech IT economy.

3. I would ask my yr 4's what they (thought they) knew about India first. I had some excellent resource material from Bishopston Trading who work with the village KV Kuppam (which is googlable). Starting with a world map, then moving to country, state then village andhere, UK to our estate, we could see what geographical features were similar. On their village map were marked P.O.s, markets etc and we 'compared and contrasted'. Nowadays you can compare weather features as they happen.
    My videoed Madur Jaffrey cookery progs showed food being cooked for feast days and the ensuing celebrations. Food and farming were big back then.
    . We did The Blind Men and the Elephant poem for philosophical discussion and illustrated everything with Indian motifs. Happy days.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. Thanks very much, started off with my KWL and then went on to do map work with them, they loved it. Plan has started off small but now have so many activities to do. Will have a look at Inian cooking and three blind mice and thte elephant poem.

The Oxfam site is fantastic.