1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

India bans electronic cigarettes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-49738381

"India's cabinet has announced a ban on the production, import and sale of electronic cigarettes, saying they pose a risk to health.

An executive order had been approved banning vaping products because of their impact on young people, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said.

It is not clear if the order will also prohibit the use of vaping equipment.

India has more than 100 million adult smokers, making it a huge potential market for e-cigarette companies.

India has more smokers than any other country, except for China."

What am I missing here? Cigarettes are known to pose a risk to health. The jury's still out about whether there are dangers from vaping and medical advice in the UK says it's less harmful than smoking.

Can it be that the Finance Minister is concerned about the loss of tax revenue from tobacco products?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There does seem to be a growing health concern around vaping... while at the same time the sale of cigarettes carries on... a known health risk of far greater damage...

It perplexes me as it does you Duke.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

“Impact on young people...”
    Lol!
    Kids living on the street, begging.
    I think they need to get their priorities in order.

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I don't know about India, but I think that what may be going on here in the West is that governments and employers need to be careful of being sued if they claim or accept that e-cigarettes are safe and not harmful, thus allowing or accepting their use. The delivery method through the lungs is always going to cause some problems in some people and with our litigious culture, people will claim that they were not warned sufficiently or prevented from exposing themselves to harm in the pursuit a payout.

In the USA a couple of weeks ago, health officials have warned that people should not vape. https://learningenglish.voanews.com...eople-to-stop-using-e-cigarettes/5076210.html

Here in the UK I think we are able to use common sense and look at the relative harms and work with the fact that vaping is less harmful overall compared to cigarette smoking but I think that companies not allowing vaping on their premises has as much to do with avoiding being sued, as with the objections from non vapers. However time will tell if someone sues here for not being protected from vaping. Most things in the States, end up here in the UK. I only need mention Trump and Johnson.

towncryer likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The tobacco industry in India is huge, a sizeable chunk of agricultural endeavour and livelihood. Vaping is jeopardising production and also costing the potential tax levied on tobacco, which is also huge. This, together with vaping being embraced wholesale by the young and affluent, those with plenty of disposable income, who simultaneously revile proper smoking. In other words, vaping is not benefitting the economy, whereas tobacco can, and once did, but has been subsumed by the vaping culture.
    It's not about health, it's about a long standing stability in one aspect of the Indian economy which has suddenly been juddered. Whoever said "never mind smoking, what about the poor begging children" has misplaced concerns, since millions of family members of tobacco farmers are likely to be compelled to beg similarly if vaping is allowed to continue.
    This is not about health at all; the fact of springboarding the decision off the US is simply one of expedience and popular sway.
    None of this is news in fact-similar bans are in now place in eg Thailand and Nepal for identical reasons. Mexico too, but Trump hasn't made much of that, has he?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Trump has called for a ban on vaping following the deaths of some who vaped.

The regulations regarding the constituents of vaping products is stricter in the EU ( and thus Britain) than in many other countries including USA and India and thus the combination of ingredients can increase risk of respiratory(?) disease.

This programme explains it better than I can

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07n59p7

hplovegame48 likes this.
  7. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

What a good idea. There's never any point in replacing one addiction with another.

nomad likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

peter12171 and smoothnewt like this.
  9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Here are my observations on smoking.

It's a weird thing! People drink alcohol but people also drink water and their mother's milk so, drinking seems like a generally acceptable thing. People also ingest food and drugs. But smoking is really something else. Saying that though, we do also breath in as part of normal activity.

I like smoking. I've been smoking for forty-five years. My one regret is that I smoked tailor-made cigarettes for the first sixteen years. Since then I've stuck to tobacco and papers. Tailor-made cigarettes force you to smoke the whole cigarette at once or end up with a mess to light up again. You can put a roll-up down in the ashtray and it'll go out. A tailor-made cigarette will burn on so most people just smoke the whole thing. I found the filters on tailor-made cigarettes take some sucking on to get the nicotine into your bloodstream. Roll-ups aren't nearly as hard work -especially if you make your own filter out of rolled up card. I always think the acids in the card will get me before the tar in the tobacco.

Presently I'm experimenting with nicotine tablets. This is what I do. I add one nicotine tablet to my muesli for breakfast. They're mint flavoured and don't taste good but the milk softens the blow. This way I have my first roll-up at 10 a.m. another at 1 p.m. and another at 5p.m., 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. Five roll-ups a day albeit with king-sized papers and a carboard filter. The first two roll-ups I smoke straight through because I'm at work and smoke when I have a cup of tea.The other three I pick up and put down throughout the evening. If I go out to a pub or party etc I take a nicotine tablet before I leave and take a pack of tailor-made cigarettes. A pack of twenty cigarettes lasts me for about three months. I might smoke three over an evening but that's more to do with the stress of being around people. I sneak off and have a smoke outside. If it's cold outside it's too much hassle to do so I head home early for a proper smoke of a roll-up.

If I take pre-prepared roll-up out to some public get-together I get a lot of hassle with people bothering me with "what are you smoking?" etc. If I take tailor-made cigarettes I get a lot of hassle with "can I have one but don't tell anyone" or "my husband doesn't know I smoke" etc. Plus they always want to play with my Zippo lighter.

I never smoke in the car. I never smoke when I'm out and about shopping etc. If I'm out for more than two hours I'll have a nicotine tablet before I leave home. I never smoke around children and young people.

I buy my king-sized silver Rizla papers in boxes of fifty from the wholesaler and my tobacco in packs of twenty x fifty grams of Golden Virginia from my neighbour who gets them from work off a guy who goes abroad a lot. A pack of fifty grams costs me £10.00 and lasts a week.

The main problem is people who don't smoke especially when they're drunk. I don't smoke around them or anyone else who doesn't smoke.

I haven't drunk alcohol for over seventeen years. I gave up on sex over fifteen years ago so smoking is my one pleasure.

My aim is to stop smoking cigarettes and just keep a small amount of tobacco and papers for when I add something more exotic after the end of a good month of work and associated income. But that's very gentle and not heavy and in private at home with no one else around.

Meanwhile I'll use nicotine tablets to keep the levels steady and slowly wean myself off them or reduce them to two a day.

Today I went out on my bicycle. I rode up some pretty steep hills and could feel the slight strain on my lungs. I think it's time to reduce my nicotine intake to reduce the tar intake. I've never been interested in vaping or smoking anything else re class A drugs or that horrendous rosehip tobacco.

I enjoy the taste of tobacco but the tar gets into everything: clothes, furnishings etc.

My main bugbear is other people and their interference. It's usually the drunk ones who are the worst or the ones with kids. As I say I don't smoke around children or young people and I avoid smoking near other people as well.

sbkrobson and ShowerGel like this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That's rather a crass thing to say, if you don't mind my saying so, @ShowerGel.

There are few people of my acquaintance who aren't addicted to something or other, it's just that most of the things they're addicted to don't face the same approbrium that so called substance abuse does, which of course include smoking.

I was a smoker for some 18 years, the last ten of which I regretted having started. Unless you've been addicted yourself and taken steps to overcome that addiction, you won't have any idea how difficult it was to achieve.

There were two things that enabled me to give up smoking. One was the price hike to ten quid a packet, the other was to try vaping.

Ironically, at least for me, they worked in tandem, but it wasn't because I switched one addiction for another.

Let me put it like this...

When it costs 50p every time you light up a fag, the chances are you'll inhale every last drag out of it you can, which increases the dependence.

With vaping, you don't need more than a couple of puffs to overcome the urge for the nicotine rush. The body subsequently adapts itself to become less dependent on high amounts of nicotine and vaping becomes a thing you can take or leave far more easily.

Nicotine suplements like patches or chewing gum never worked for me, because they don't give that hit at the back of the throat that cigarettes do. You get it with vaping though and because you're not invested in an entire fag to get your money's worth out of it, it becomes easier to lose the addiction.

There are lots of other factors that play a part, such as vaping being more socially acceptable than smoking, but the main factor is reducing the dependency, which for me, vaping was able to achieve.

11. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

You are brave to have written your smoking diary Jude Fawley.

I am an ex smoker and stopped by attending an NHS stop smoking group which was a strict staged programme run by two stop smoking experts - they taught us everything about smoking.

I love belonging to groups and the smoking one was perfect. We were all in the same boat every step of the way. We all had our first row with whoever and all went for the bags of sweets at the same times.We had to phone each other every day and generally do as the experts said etc.We could choose patches, gum or this drug around then and we met every week for about 10 weeks. By the end we had all stopped.

I also read Alan Carr (not the comedian) The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. He simply says its just a physical addiction to nicotine that is all and I understood his message 100 per cent. He said not to use any stop smoking aids but I did.

Smoking is not an emotional crutch at all! Understand that, get the nicotine out of your system and you are home and dry.

I also was spurred on by my VERY ex (divorced for over 30 years but father of children) dying from cancer and still smoking and drinking to the bitter end.
    I thought 'I am NEVER going to be like that a r sehole' and as a result of all these things have never smoked or drunk since! I was easy to stop drinking as I had never drunk much alcohol anyway and now really can't see the point! I know some folk think they need it to relax but that's the paradox of that poison!

Jude Fawley - stopping smoking or whatever drug of choice, is worth every second of the stopping.

12. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

P.S I used a nicotine patch for a couple of weeks (no vaping then). If you want to know more message me. Finally I don't want to die young or become seriously ill. My ex took 5 years to die having chemo etc and my children had to watch that (I didn't have to watch but I had to watch them watching so how could I smoke or drink or even eat cr ap after that?)

13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I stopped drinking in 2002 straight off with no help. I just knew I'd not live much longer carrying on at the rate I was going. I've never desired a drink since and not fallen off the wagon. I have drink in the house for visitors and I will usually open a bottle of red wine and tell the visitors to get stuck in and that there's another bottle of the same in the kitchen but I wouldn't push anyone to drink and I'm not anti-drink. I stopped smoking in 2009 for about three months. Again, I went 'cold turkey' but then I went out to work again and the stress of dealing with the great outdoors did for me.

I really like the taste of tobacco and anyway, whoever heard of a bohemian who doesn't smoke!

caress and ShowerGel like this.
  14. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

If only he took a similar stance on gun ownership.

lizziescat and ShowerGel like this.
  15. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Well done Jude with the drinking. I know I sounded like the typical ex smoker. Such cr ap! So boring really. I am proud of myself though and also admire anyone who doesn't drink alcohol.

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I used to have that quotation on my bedroom door as a teenager. The door was invariably closed in a vain attempt to ward off the stench of my mother’s endless cigarettes and my dad’s pipe.

knitone and ShowerGel like this.
  17. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Trump's son started vaping. The objection in the US (and the UK) is to the kiddy flavours. I'm rather annoyed that menthol ecigarettes look like being banned across the pond.
    eCigs have been banned in Dubai for years.
    I am at a loss to understand why, on heath grounds, ecigs should be banned but tobacco isn't.

ShowerGel likes this.
  18. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

I was listening to Skeptics with a K last night and the deaths etc in the USA might well be linked to vaping of canniboids in cheap or homemade mixes.

I just find it odd that there is a knee jerk reaction about this but not gun deaths.

caress likes this.
  19. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Of couse! How crazy is that to ban vaping but not fags.
    It is a mad, mad World.

Also the selling of cheap alcohol in shops so pubs are closing because no one goes.
    How sad that the social aspect of drinking is going.

Other things that make no sense are alcohol being sold at all while we are being told to stop or only drink half a glass per day.

To stop eating cr ap because diabetes etc is on a dramatic increase while supermarket shelve are absolutely rammed with cr ap!

There are many more confusing scenarios zooming around at the mo...

caress likes this.
  20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'm happy for people to smoke and vape and do pretty much anything else in their own home, but I hate being subjected to it in public places. The stink of people's vapour or smoke is disgusting. I'm allergic to perfumes so walking down our local high street has become something of a challenge. People look stupid sucking on their vape dummies or cigarettes, but I can choose not to look at them. It's a lot harder to choose not to breathe their pollution though.

ShowerGel likes this.