1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent

Discussion in 'Independent' started by chocolateinuk, Jul 3, 2020.

1. chocolateinuk

chocolateinuk New commenter

Hi Everyone.
    I am starting a new job next academic year and moving to an independent school.

Could someone give me an idea of teaching hours in their schools? I am used to 23hours/week.
    I am also looking for idea about after school activities. Do you run a club on your subject? Using one of your hobby or skills?

Thanks so much.

2. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

In the normal world, I work Tuesday to Friday & teach from Year 1 to Year 6. I teach English, Humanities, Drama, PSHE & Art across school. I also run the junior art club & infant story club.

I work 26 hours a week, get no PPA. Have my own form class. In our contracts, if Sport's Day, Speech Day or any other function falls on our day off we work for nothing! Pay is not as good as the state pay scale, but on a plus, little or no behaviour issues in class.

In this current situation, I am working everyday Zoom teaching and marking so am longing for normality and my Mondays off again.

Good luck in your new role.

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

A little better where I work - a full week of lessons is 26 hours worth and nobody teaches more than 20 hours. Pay has slipped behind state here too, though.

Clubs are viewed as "interesting babysitting", most staff offer a "fun" club related either to their subject or their own wider interests / skills.

4. chocolateinuk

Thank you both for your answers! I am really excited to move to my new school but still a bit anxious after so many years at the same place.

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Did you not ask at some point while visiting the school or during interview? If not perhaps a call to find out might reassure you.

6. chocolateinuk

I did and it’s a maximum of 20h of teaching + form time and two after school clubs.
    even if I teach the max of 20hours I am fine with that.

jarndyce likes this.
  7. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

For all my school's, little faults, I've been there 7 years now. It will, hopefully be last school I teach in until I retire now. The children are absolutely lovely :)

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I can dream...
    25 hours teaching
    8 hours duties
    2 hours clubs
    Plus extras like Saturday open days, parents evenings, transition evenings, etc
    Teaching and duty hours are both much less further up the school.

But sooooo much freedom to teach how and what I want and a tiny class of generally well behaved children with lovely parents.

sugaflowa, jarndyce and Ro13 like this.