1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent supply teacher

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by saunter986, May 14, 2018.

1. saunter986

saunter986 New commenter

Hi all,
    I am planning on starting supply teaching come September 2018. I was wondering if you lovely people would be able to answer a few questions for me please:

1. Do I need any type of insurance? (obviously I will make sure I have joined back up with a union)

2. I have been on off teaching for about 7 years - when full time I was spine point M3 scale - How would you work out how much to charge the school? Would you divide the M3 salary by 195 days (days able to work in school year)?

3. What sorts of resources do you have in your "bag of tricks", in case there is no planning. Do you have a day planned for every year group?

4. I have seen some posts saying don't set up a company/ business and go down the invoice route, be an employee - Are you able to be an employee of as many schools as you like? Are there any benefits of setting up a business/ company rather than going through PAYE?

I think that is all my questions for now - although as I am getting nearer to the exciting time of getting back into doing what I love, I am sure there will be more! I look forward to reading all of your responses! Thanks in advance everyone :)

Abbey xxxx

billinziemalcolm likes this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Hi Abbey aka @saunter986 ,

If this identifies you too much suggest you report your post (and this) and have them removed/edited along with changing your user name. You would do better acting on the advice anonymously.

Or you might want the advertising I suppose.

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I won't answer your questions specifically as I tried to do precisely this about a year and a half ago and failed as I couldn't answer the crucial question you didn't ask.
    "How do I get the Cover Organiser to ring me rather than a load of agencies first?"
    Agencies have 3 major advantages here.
    1. They have a pool of supply teachers to offer
      You can only offer @saunter986
    2. They spend a lot of time ringing and calling the Cover Organiser to butter them up.
      You really can't spare the time to go round the 20 or so 'preferred schools' and it's quite hard to find who the Cover Organiser is.
    3. Supply budget is keyed up to to pay agencies
      It's an added complication for the HR person to employ you and I'm not impressed with the competence of most HR in schools (but perhaps that's me).
    So work out how to crack that but it doesn't cost much to try and then go to plan B (work via agencies) like I've done.

Last edited: May 14, 2018