1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

independent Special Schools

Discussion in 'Independent' started by jumbs71, Mar 16, 2011.

1. jumbs71

jumbs71 New commenter

Hi,
    I have been working in an Independent residential special school for the last four years and although I love my work (the students and support staff) I am increasingly frustrated by the lack of training offered.
    The overall culture at the moment is money over everything and I am often having to fight for resources for the students, staffing, training, even day to day maintenence.
    I really love working in Special Education, but feel I am becoming out of date and out of touch with new developments.
    Is lack of training and opportunities for sharing good practice common in Independent schools or am I on my own.
    Jumbs

2. Barry's twin

Barry's twin New commenter

My experience matches yours, been in independent special school for 3 years now, training is patchy at best, and money is always tight. Love the place but will have to move to progress.