1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent schools

Discussion in 'Music' started by atang, Oct 30, 2017.

1. atang

atang New commenter

Here is a quick question...

What is your experience of Independent schools in terms of financing and money?

I worked at a small independent school and if numbers dropped, staff were held accountable for the drop in students as it was obviously due to complaints made about teachers not doing enough!

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Independent schools vary even more than state schools - some are well funded with historic foundations going back hundreds of years, while others are the sole property of one person (often the head) and run on a shoestring.

I worked in three well-known HMC schools for some 40 years and have no complaints whatsoever about finance. They were also happy to run A-level classes even when, in a few years, numbers dropped to only 3 or 4 pupils. It was felt more important to have senior A-level musicians in the school, and to interest the staff with A-level teaching, than to worry about numbers.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I forgot to add that another important consideration for independent school heads if the school drops a subject such as music at GCSE or A-level, word goes around prospective parents very quickly and for many the school gets removed from the short list of applications. It really depends on how competitive the market is in the area, and the importance placed by the school on music, but in the south-east and London (where I worked), competition for music places was a serious business.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

It’s very variable. Small schools without endowments and reserves may be existing in a very hand-to-mouth manner and even a slight drop in pupil numbers means belts must tighten or the school goes under. Medium sized schools are ‘safer’ because their size means they have more leeway. Large schools, popular schools, over-subscribed schools and prestigious schools have much less to fear - it is likely their finances are ample and things will be pretty secure. But independent schools are always in the market place and have to keep their appeal and attract sufficient pupils to make them viable.