1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent Schools Fees Reduction for Staff in SW London

Discussion in 'Independent' started by clairemcgurk, Dec 29, 2015.

1. clairemcgurk

clairemcgurk New commenter

I've worked in two independent schools one in Spain which gave 100% fees reduction for the children of staff and one in South London which gave 66% fees reduction. I now have three small children and looking at the option of returning to work full-time in the independent sector. We no longer live close enough to my previous school in South London but live in SW London (Twickenham).

Even with 66% reduction my full-time salary would basically cover the fees for three children and I wouldn't have much left over. However, it is still an option that we would like to consider and is a definite incentive for us. However, schools don't advertise their staff percentage fees reduction.

If anyone does know the fees reduction for any independent schools in the SW London Twickenham area then please could you either post here or PM me. This would be much appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

66% is a pretty generous reduction. And not one that would often be offered in my experience.

The 100% in Spain is, I believe, a legal requirement, so best not to judge UK reductions by that.

The big schools, the top of the league schools, the Public Schools, are all very generous. Others may have to bear in mind their finances when giving a place to a staff child.

Best wishes for 2016

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I've just done the maths.

Three children each with a 66% reduction. That makes one whole set of fees.

Surely a FT salary is more than that!!!!!

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

GPDST schools (of which there are several in SW London) offer up to 30% reduction on fees for children of staff. You'd be lucky to find 50% these days, let alone more, unless your kids can get academic or music scholarships in addition to the staff discount (as ours did, but that was many decades ago).

5. Ireton

Ireton New commenter

At an IAPS financial course I went on, this topic was much in discussion. Whilst some schools offer generous fee discount, there seems to be a move to a more flexible approach by some schools depending on length of service or how important you are to the school. You may therefore find that there are differences even within the same school or group of schools. For a small stand alone prep, even in the capital, the loss of fee income has a considerable effect upon finances and is being looked at by bursars and owners/heads. And, as we all know, they are independent schools so everyone has a different scheme operating.

6. clairemcgurk

clairemcgurk New commenter

Fees for three £1500-1600 per month with 66% discount

A FT salary leaves some left over per month after tax, NI, pension, travel etc. but not a whole lot.

<30% reduction would be £1000+ per month per child. Very expensive.

Thank you for the responses, very helpful.

7. vicmac

vicmac New commenter

I am considering hunting for the same thing anywhere in London - I know that schools in the Alpha Plus group don't offer any reduction to staff. Any teachers out there with own children at an independent primary who are getting reduced fees?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Jobs are not advertised that frequently in independent junior schools anywhere in the country, as the staffing is generally pretty stable.

To consider limiting oneself to applying only to those that offer a fee reduction that you consider appropriate would be really limiting your chances of employment, in my view.

Best wishes