1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent School Snobbery?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Eccithump, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Your university and clas of degree may be a factor. Look down the list of teachers at the VERY best private schools and many will be Oxbridge.

2. Quite frankly, if I were presented with 10 CVs and saw a II.ii from a 'new' university - or indeed any university - on one of them, there would have to be something else pretty remarkable about it to save it from the rejection pile.
    Independent schools often pride themselves on sending their pupils to Oxbridge and other top institutions. I think it would be fairly strange for a school to employ a teacher who couldn't achieve what they're encouraging their pupils to aspire to.

3. And there you have it. It's the 2(ii) that independent schools don't like. I have applied to an "outstanding" state school, 97% A-C at GCSE, and guess what? I've been invited for interview! I guess they realised that my teaching ability is far more important than the degree I achieved 19 years ago! So, it's your loss independent schools, I'm sticking to state schools who, quite rightly look at teaching ability as opposed to breeding. This is my last post on the subject but I'm glad I started the post. Many responses have proved to me that I'm not paranoid but rather, the independent system is filled with inate snobbery. So, to all those who took exception to the notion that there could possibly be any snobbery in the independent sector (how naive!), I'm pleased I touched a nerve as it served to answer my original question. Thanks again and good luck to you all!

4. This is what I'm afraid is preventing me from securing an interview! For some reason, I have my mind set on working in an Independent school in London (although I definately would also consider state schools it just seems the only ones I have really liked have been at Preps!). Ive only applied to three but not got an interview at any of these and Im thinking it may be because of this (although, it could also just be down to experience/better applications!).
    I have average GCSE's and A'Levels (B's and C's) and a 2:1 from a rather low ranking University (Psychology- Lots of child development etc). I'm currently doing my Primary PGCE at Cambridge and will be completing the Masters there but I still sort of feel my other qualifications 'bring me down' a little bit in their eyes! A bit of a silly question perhaps but do you think good Prep schools would seriously consider a candidate with these sorts of qualifications? I've found another school I really love and will try and do anything to get an interview for it!

5. "teaching ability as opposed to breeding" - no, understanding your subject as opposed to not.
    "is filled with inate snobbery" - no; it sort of, you know, wants people who know their subject very well. Why is that snobby?
    And also, how are independent schools going to know anything about yor teaching ability from a pile of 70 CVs? All they have to go on is your degree and subsequent jobs....very hard to judge teaching ability from that and they can only call 6-8 for interview.

6. I taught in the state sector for 25 years (5 inner city schools-16 yrs as HOD). In April 2010 I moved as HOD to an independent school. I feel sad for you because there is, from your post, a real sense of hatred. Be aware that although you might feel you are doing good for society you are thoroughly mistaken. As a generalisation, in inner city schools, there is a huge clash of cultures."Middle class" teachers are trying (and mostly failing, through no fault of their own) to inculcate into children, a set of values which is completely alien.You have very little impact on these children's lives, the influences from outside are far stronger than anything you can provide in school. I worked with many brilliant teachers in the state sector who battled daily against huge odds to provide many damaged children with a sense of order. You would be well advised to forget your ill-informed views and retain an open mind. The issue about independent teachers not being able to cut it is a myth. The "teaching", in the main, in the state sector, was thoroughly dull. Behaviour was so bad one became adept at controlling large classes but rarely moved them on, in educational terms. I can say, without doubt, that the teaching in the independent school is significantly more onerous. The independent school wanted/valued my experience and was keen to employ me. The classes are very challenging, from a whole host of perspectives. Base your statements on experience of both systems, at the moment you don't have this.

7. What a fantastic post. I have less than a fifth of your experience, but agree with you entirely. Having moved from a tough state school to a high-flying indie, I can say that I now work harder, but in the right places.

8. Absolutely. I am a manager of a Prep School and when taking on teachers - especially NQT's - we are far more interested in the committment and enthusiasm they have than where they got their degrees. As long as you can convince the school that you have the subject knowledge to teach a year above the average (where most schools are) you should have a good chance. Your chances will often be better the lower down the class you are applying for as Years 5-6 get quite serious because of the 11+.