1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent School SENCOs- Speech and Language

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Crumpy, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Hi- just wondering what your procedures are for referring a pupil to a Speech and Language Therapist. I am a SENCO in a prep school. Do you ask parents to go through doctor or do you have a LA contact to go through?

Thanks

2. Hi- just wondering what your procedures are for referring a pupil to a Speech and Language Therapist. I am a SENCO in a prep school. Do you ask parents to go through doctor or do you have a LA contact to go through?

Thanks

3. Yes, via GP in our area. (Speech and Language Therapists employed by one of the NHS trusts).
    Write a letter to the parents for them to show to the doctor, explaining your concerns and why you regard the difficulty as significant enough to need input from SaLT. If you don't, you risk the GP being dismissive of parents claims (yes this can happen).
    Our LA won't have anything to do with independent schools - especially for an out-of-area family.

4. Thanks for that- it was just as I'd thought. Same experience with our LA too! All new to me, having worked in state schools up until this year!
    [​IMG]