1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent school applications

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lauz106, Jan 15, 2016.

1. lauz106

lauz106 New commenter

Hi, I have made a few applications in the past (not a huge amount) and have been invited to interview at all of the state schools (including a couple of top grammars) I have applied to but none of the independents. I'm happy to work at either a state or independent school, it depends more on the philosophy and location of the school (as I'm a bit restricted geographically and there are quite a few independents locally) but obviously this is something I have noticed. I'm looking for some advice on what the biggest reason might be that independent schools are not pursuing my application. In addition, could anyone tell me if it's better to post or email applications if both are indicated, or whether it doesn't make a difference. Thanks for your help!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

There will be others with more extensive knowledge but i would say to attract an interview and post at and Independent School you need to provide evidence for all those extra-curricular activities you wish to pursue if appointed.

They are very keen on Sports obviously, but anything to enhance their standing and making them more attractive to prospective pupils is obviously going to help your application.

They will also expect high scoring exam results, if you're secondary too.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that for any school, in fact for any post in any company, as well as schools, it's because you are not showing that you can offer what they are looking for. If you are just submitting a fairly standard, one-size-fits-all application, this may not be tailored enough to an individual school.

You really need to look hard at their person specification and job description for the explicit needs, and their website for the implicit ones.

And then address them very explicitly in your application, through your letter or supporting statement, and above all in your E.S.

Don't know what i mean by an E.S.? Come back and tag me @TheoGriff and ask!

Best wishes

4. lauz106

lauz106 New commenter

Ok thank you both !

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)