1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent/private primary school vs. state schools

Discussion in 'Independent' started by cm444, Nov 9, 2017.

1. cm444

cm444 New commenter

Hi,

I'm sure there's been hundreds of posts about this in the past but I can't actually find where someone says what it's actually like working in the private primary sector. My cousin works at an independent secondary school and absolutely LOVES it. They can't stop raving about how much they enjoy it and the perks that come with it such as the long holidays and the good pay despite the long hours.

I am thinking about moving from state primary to private primary and wanted to know the main differences. I appreciate that not everyone enjoys it, however, what is it like? Are children expected to do worksheets from the age of 4 and send homework out every night? What is the pay like etc? Is it much less than in state schools? Are you able to progress or is there little room to move? I am currently a Reception teacher in a state school and am getting slightly fed up of my headteachers attitude towards her staff and the there's constant pressure incase Ofsted come knocking anytime soon.

Much appreciated
    C

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I recently moved and at the moment wouldn’t consider going back to state :)

Pay in my school is similar to state schools.
    I don’t work longer hours - we are a day school so no boarding duties. I do one club a week and have 1 staff meeting per week. My contract says I can be required to work weekends but I haven’t been asked to yet. Asking around it seems this is mainly for xmas fairs etc and sports teachers have the odd Saturday fixture. The days are about an hour more teaching than in state (earlier start, later finish)
    I get soooo much more PPA. I don’t teach PE, science etc so every time they have that lesson I have a free. I get the majority of my planning and marking done in school time.
    I would say teaching at my school is not solid worksheets from the age of 4. I teach y6 and I teach maths quite creatively - group work, problem solving etc, not just worksheets. I think it would be the same lower down the School.
    Free lunch!
    Behaviour is excellent and the children are delightful.

Yes, we do set more homework but not a ridiculous amount. Parents are a bit of a pain, but at least they care about their children’s learning and make sure they do their homework and actually attend school. I’ll take that any day over the abusive parents and poor attendance at my old school!

All schools and contracts will be different. I would recommend you go and look around any schools you are interested in and ask lots of questions!