1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent pension advisors

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by robusto, Dec 3, 2015.

1. robusto

robusto New commenter

Can anyone recommend a pension advisor - someone who could provide clear advice without trying to sell me anything? I live in Cumbria / work in southern Scotland - have pension fund in England too. I've tried the one recommended by NASUWT but didn't find them very helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Why would they talk to you unless they were trying to sell you something. When we have looked for advice we have spoken to a few different people and then made up our own minds - sometimes using them to set up something , sometimes doing our own thing. You can have free introductory chats but after that they do expect you to pay them to do something and why shouldn't they?

3. robusto

robusto New commenter

I’m looking for an “independent financial advisor” and not a “salesperson with vested interests in certain products”.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Some will be tied into a limited number of products while others are "whole of market". I think you can find which are which on line. They should be quite upfront about what they offer. There are so many products available that unless you want to do a lot of research why not let someone else sort it out for you.
    Have you looked at The Motley Fool site? I haven't looked at it lately but there used to be lots of advice there

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I found them hopeless! They cold-called, made an appointment to send a rep, who never turned up!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Never really seen the need for an IFA. I would rather sort myself and save the money.
    Just be sensible where you save and invest. It appears to me that most of who lose either risk too much by hoping for quick and large returns (aka greed) or just lack financial common sense! At same time I have every sympathy for those who are victims deliberate scams.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  7. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Totally agree. There are no great returns out there unless you want to risk losing a chunk of your very hard-earned lump sum. In addition, IFA fees and management fees will slice into the money. I now have the time to seek out the best rates and do the leg work, so it's ISAs and premium bonds for me-especially in these times of low/no inflation.

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

9. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Too much bad history with IFAs - Put your lump sum etc in safe products and look around all the time to make improvements on interest rates - think of it like shopping around for your car insurance.
    £1000 of interest earned will be tax free next financial year!