1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by musicozzie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. I have worked in a small independent school teaching from Foundation - GCSE as Head of Music, run numerous extracurricular clubs, play for assembly, co-ordinate & supervise team of visiting peripatetic instrumental teachers, shows etc and all for pay below MSP. I was on MPS3 when I left the state sector, now applying for Music Director post, just KS3&4, bigger and better school (not in London) Now in 7th year of teaching. What should I be looking for as a salary?Thanks for any helpful comments.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The answer is whatever they will offer you - There is no requirement for LEA schools to acknowledge years in independent schools as salary progression years.

3. There may be no requirement but they should surely have a good reason not to! I hate the stigma that some people in state schools attach to independent schools. We are all just trying to teach children and I don't think it matters where you do it. Why should these years of experience not count? As long as they have been teaching then they have been gaining more experience and should be paid accordingly. I am moving from independent back to state this year and I would feel very upset if my hard work of the last few years had not been recognised!

4. My comment above still stands in general, but on rereading the OPs post I see you are actually being paid below MSP at your independent position? In this case I don't think you will get get paid for all your years experience as they will ask for previous salary and see you were getting paid far less. They probably won't want to bump you up from below payscale to MPS6 if they don't have to. You should get at least MPS 3 though as you were on that when you left the state sector. I suppose it depends on the school really! Good luck!