1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent P Scales activities?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, May 1, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I have 2 SEN children in my class who do not have 1:1 TA support in all lessons. Sometimes I like to use my TA (Who is a 'general' TA) to work with larger and different groups in the class and want these 2 children to do something on their own in Numeracy sometimes, however they do very, very little (nothing) when on their own without an adult leading it. Simple things like colouring in a set number of squares- they just colour what they feel like. Does any one know of a resource bank of ideas of independent activities they could do or have any bright ideas? I'm really struggling. Thank you :)

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I have 2 SEN children in my class who do not have 1:1 TA support in all lessons. Sometimes I like to use my TA (Who is a 'general' TA) to work with larger and different groups in the class and want these 2 children to do something on their own in Numeracy sometimes, however they do very, very little (nothing) when on their own without an adult leading it. Simple things like colouring in a set number of squares- they just colour what they feel like. Does any one know of a resource bank of ideas of independent activities they could do or have any bright ideas? I'm really struggling. Thank you :)

3. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Bump ^
    I need something like this for my Yr 7 Maths group. M

4. Do you have access to netbooks or laptops that they could use to play maths games at their level?

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yes but am hoping for some table based activities as our computer is very much separate from the other children and don't want to just park them in the corner every time!

6. hmmm.
    I do feel for you. I have these children in my class but because it is a special school, I have all the support and resources that you probably don't. My children have a netbook each and 4 adults to 9 children - so personalised learning is so much easier - while sitting at their desks.
    I will have a think overnight for you though and come back you if I think of anything.
    :)

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Thank you :) It doesn't help that I have 29 other children, atleast 5 of whom also have their own special needs but are able to access the basic curriculum... just feel like these 2 get a raw deal when myself and my TA aren't with them and want to support them a bit better and encourage them to be less dependent on us when it comes to learning!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Have a look at FS resources and see what they use there.

The children there work very independently, so it is possible given the ability.

9. Do you use numicon? I think numicon would be a good resource for these children to use. It gives such a good visual reference for numbers and enables my SEN (one of whom is still on P scales) to attack activities independently. My children have learnt to recognise which colour and shape represents which number. They can add numbers by putting the right numicon shapes together, use them to help understand number bonds, but stacking the shapes (they can self check by putting the 10 on top) and lots of other activities. The shapes even balance properly, so you can use them with bucket scales so they could investigate which numbers balance. Most of my Year 2s use numicon. We have it in baskets on the tables and they use it to check their calculations, find the difference, mulitply etc. Once they are familiar it really does help them to approach tasks more independently, so it might be worth a go. If you are not familiar with it, just google numicon and check out the website, as they have loads of videos etc with ideas on how to use it. It also comes with a folder of activities.

10. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

I would also second what singup said about numicon. Numicon is fantastic and my SEN children who are also on p levels love it. They use it every day and it really boosts their self esteem because they can achieve. There are loads of resources out there- just google nunicon.

11. What P level are they working at in numeracy? What are their IEP targets? This might give us a better focus and help us come up with some ideas.

12. Hi there
    I am a PGCE student in a Y2 placement with a group of chn working at P scale level. I found some good maths activities in the NNS guidance for FS.
    Hope this helps