1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by fella, Sep 15, 2011.

1. fella

fella New commenter

Hi
    I am doing my NQT year via a system implemented in an independent school.
    Does anyone know of this??
    Is it normal for NQT teachers to be observed 'informally' once a week?
    Any advice or feedback please?

2. fella

fella New commenter

Hi
    I am doing my NQT year via a system implemented in an independent school.
    Does anyone know of this??
    Is it normal for NQT teachers to be observed 'informally' once a week?
    Any advice or feedback please?

3. To complete induction in the private sector the school must either use the local authority (they contract the LA to validate induction) or use the |Independent Schools Council Teacher Induction Panel (ISCTIP) who will validate induction. Either of these routes will, if induction is passed, allow you to work freely in the state system with no restrictions, for example, on your ability to undertake daily supply work.
    Both induction processes are the same and must follow the statutory guidance. Headteachers can conduct 'informal' observations of teachers (or delegate this to others). Too much observation can, in my view, be counterproductive as all that happens is the person under observation simply becomes more stressed. If there is no feedback from such observations you have to wonder about how useful they are. Sometimes being very enthusiastic about them and saying that you would welcome written feedback or regular meetings to discuss them puts the person off as they will see it as much more work and trouble (can't guarantee this, but it may work).
    The statutory guidance requires a formal observation every half term.
    The statutory guidance can be found here:
    http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/statutory%20guidance%20on%20induction%20for%20newly%20qualified%20teachers%20in%20england.pdf
    James

4. It was normal for me in my NQT year in an independent school, and... it killed me. I went home crying, all the time. I even thought of quitting and spent a while searching my local area for jobs not related to teaching.

After all of that, I passed and I'm now in my second year. I'm REALLY happy now. Two weeks without an observation! Everything seems easier without the threat of being banned for life hanging over your head.

5. I'm currently doing my NQT in a private school and am with the ISCI for my accreditation.
    As for observations, haven't had one yet but have my first scheduled. They're letting me find my feet with my classes first, which I appreciate. I will be observed at least 3 times a half-term, which works out to at least once a fortnight. Not all of these will be formal observations.