1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent learning

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by crusader62, Oct 30, 2018.

1. crusader62

crusader62 New commenter

Can anyone suggest any useful tips as to when I give learners an independent leaning research task to carry out, as to how do I discourage them from copy and pasting but rather make their own notes.
    I am finding more and more that school leavers have limited independent learning and research skills.
    Any suggestions and creative ideas welcome.
    David

2. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

You could take a selection of relevant books into the classroom and inform students that the books can be their only source of information to complete the task. Students will be more likely to make their own summary notes rather than taking longer to write what is in the book. It is also good to help students with using different sources of information as many are too reliant on the internet.

crusader62 likes this.
  3. itsjohn756

itsjohn756 New commenter

When it comes to independent work, students such as myself, love learning in different ways and using high-quality resources. They want to be able to explore a range of content and truly feel engaged. I created a platform called Edzuki to allow students to explore educational content made by passionate individuals, to fuel homework tasks and independent learning. I would highly recommend it to you as a resource to use for your class. as it is based on the concept that students have their own unique passions and interests, which may come in useful for independent learning tasks.

https://www.edzuki.com/

crusader62 likes this.