1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent/interactive play

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by saripop, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I know this is a real teachermum question, but how much do you leave your LO to play alone on their mat for example, as oppose to interacting with them, like singing songs and playing with toys with them?
    I only ask because my LO seems to make a lot more noise (vocalising) when she's left to her own devices on her mat. But at the same time, I don't want to be neglecting her!! Just wondering what other people do. She's 3 months old btw.

2. I know this is a real teachermum question, but how much do you leave your LO to play alone on their mat for example, as oppose to interacting with them, like singing songs and playing with toys with them?
    I only ask because my LO seems to make a lot more noise (vocalising) when she's left to her own devices on her mat. But at the same time, I don't want to be neglecting her!! Just wondering what other people do. She's 3 months old btw.

3. This is a really good question saripop and I'd be interested to know the answers. My LO is 3 months too and I am starting to leave her a bit longer to do stuff on her own because as you say she seems to quite enjoy it and it makes her look around more. I maybe leave her on her gym for 15/20 mins whilst i tidy up in the same room as her or have a cup of coffee and a quick look at the paper, we then play and sing together when she seems to want more attention.

4. My LO is 6 months and up until he started rolling was content in his playgym for about 20 + minutes depending on his mood. Now he's rolling he gets stuck ont he frame so we have a giant padded play mat for him to roll about on. He will happily lie and chew on stuff for a while but like your LO he gets really noisy! My kitchen is jkust off our living room so I can see him when I'm at the sink, but sometimes I htink he gets lonely and thinks I've deserted him because he gets very loud and then just gets happy again if I come to talk to him for a coulpe of minutes.